Parts Review: Skunk2 Coilovers

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
Skunk2 Pro-S Coilover
Part Number: 541-05-5740

Since these came out I've wanted this coilover kit, I figured it was a good bang for the buck! Now I picked them up for my GSR and this is A few things about them!

Set cam with everything to install *MAKE SURE YOU GET THE TOP MOUNTS THEY COME WITH THE KIT!!*
Install was to easy! I've installed coilovers b4, but for those that have not, skunk2 should have put in an install guide, just to know where all the washers and stuff go. Truth be told, I had 4 thick washer leftover and I dont where they go lol! Skunk2 should have also put marks on the coilovers to help with knowing how low you are going. When setting the rear, it should be higher about half an inch above the front to make up for the engine weight! One major problem, the fronts have no way to bolt the brakelines back up, so there just floating, zip ties helped with that problem. The Strut mounts are really good quilty! Me likey!

Next came the test drive!
Problem 1. The Bump Stops, I normally cut one section off. I should have cut two sections off, b/c the rear is hitting them pretty hard!

The Ride is a little bouncey, have your seat belt on lol! But damnit they huge the road nice! Body roll is a thing of the past. With just the factory strut bar and the coilovers the car handles great!

From factory, the tire on the ground to the fender was 25 1/2 inchs front and 25 inchs in the rear
After 21 1/2 in the front and 22 1/2 in the rear

So we have a 4in drop in front and 2.5 in rear!

Update: 5-12-2007

After about a month of driving on the coilovers the front got real low! I was forced to raise it back up b/c I couldnt turn!

I also started hearing a lot bang going over bumps! I checked it out, it was the bump stops, they turned to mush! and like forged with the coilover WTF! So Im going to have to get new bump Stops. So I suggest upgrading from the Bump stops that come with the system! I'll let you know which ones I go with!

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Yeah, Skunk2 is known to be stiff as hell. Had a friend who had the coilovers.

TegLS97

I don't like my Skunk2's

ShinsenTuner said:
Ironically I don't think my Skunk2 Springs are THAT stiff.. :lol:
I don't really like my Skunk2's fellas. (Not to mention my tires aren't at all new, I have stock shocks, and man my ride is bouncy lol.) I think I'm going to go with Neuspeed sport springs next time. no more coilovers for me. I rarely use them.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
TegLS97 said:
I don't really like my Skunk2's fellas. (Not to mention my tires aren't at all new, I have stock shocks, and man my ride is bouncy lol.) I think I'm going to go with Neuspeed sport springs next time. no more coilovers for me. I rarely use them.
Im talking about there full coilovers with the struts not just the spring/coil

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
great review, and its still being tested. DAILY DRIVEN BITCHES!

i dont even see the bumper stops in the pics? :what:

ShinsenTuner

New and fresh.
Springs or Full coilovers?
Skunk2 Springs on Stock shocks with 68k miles on them. I've had them on there for about three months now and they ride the same as the day I put them on. Stiff but not bouncy or anything. Rides really nice IMO, i honestly think it rides close to stock :what: