Overheating.Radiator fans almost always run

blackintegra91

When I drive around town with my a/c on and my RPMs are around 2000, the coolant gauge starts to show overheating. however when im on the freeway going 60 MPH with my RPMs at or around 3000 with the a/c blasting cold, there is no problem. And when I turn off my car after driving for a while, the radiator fan turns on for a while. Also if it starts to overheat around town, and i put it in a higher gear to make my RPMs go way up, it cools down. My grandpa thinks it may be the thermostat. What do you think?

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I'm guessing your A/C fan isn't turning on.

There's a switch that makes the second fan mandatory on when A/C is on.

you being on the interstate moves enough air thru the radiator to cool the engine, but just around town barely moves anything thru the radiator.

Check fuses for your engine fans.

I'm guessing the thermostat is fine because it still cools at interstate speeds, that would mean that the T-stat was stuck open, and your engine would usually run cold in that case.

wite2nr

i would replace the thermostat. that was part of my problem, i would overheat at idle, but if i held my rpm's up (even sitting at a light) the temp would go back down.

blackintegra91

Thermostat

placeI dont know for sure. I've only had the car about 5 months. But i'm sure it could use replacing. I've driven 13,000 miles on it, driving from washington state to SO CAL and back. Then up to Canada. And also as my daily driver, driving about 80 miles a day for about 1 of the 5 months. And the only thing I have had to do put in it is new oil and gas. So I wouldnt be too upset if I had to replace the thermostat. I think I'm pretty lucky to have no problems.

blackintegra91

well, i replaced the thermostat about 2 weeks ago. And no overheating. and i can run my a/c all day! i think it was just an air bubble in there because the thermostat looked fine. but then again, there still coud've been something wrong with it

imthepredator2

i actually had the same problem, i replaced my thermostat, and its still having the same problem, i dont have ac or power steering, ideas?

imthepredator2

well, i went to change it my self, and i broke the bolt off, then tried to drill it out... i called it quits then and towed it to the shop, and they fixed it, so they prolly did, and even put in a new sending unit??? but i checked the radiator fluid, and i saw air bubbles, so how would i possibly bleed it out without making a really big mess?

Man A

homewreker
theres a bleeder valve where the top radiator hose connects to the engine. you just open it and let the air out. close it and open it again after a cycle. just repeat till the coolant is a steady stream. i always make a mess but its no big deal. it just burns off