overheating incident

k624ash

earler this evening i was sitting in a parking lot in my car and i noticed that the temp gauge was at half, ive never seen it go that high. As i watched it climbed to about 3/4 or more before i shut it off. Im pretty sure the fans didnt turn on till about 3/4. When i checked the coolant tank it was almost empty, i filled it back up and didnt have any trouble after that, but i didnt drive it long. I had my coolant and hoses changed only a couple months ago and my radiator held compression. So im wondering how i lost that fluid. The guy at the shop did tell me that the rad looked pretty old and crappy though.
I really dont know where to start, so please tell me what you think caused it.

PogKai

B20VTEC
happened to me but it was on a nasty 3 hour stop and go traffic.. when i accelerated it cooled down.. refilled the coolant at the tank and now is fine.

k624ash

i guess ill just see if it happens again

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
could be a small leak in a hose or you may have recently gotten a hairline crack in the rad. See what happens within the next couple rides. Are you sure you filled it enough, because if its not full enough the fans will come on but turn off after a few seconds.

96 LS

yeah that shit happened to me. it was 2 or 3 hairline cracks in the radiator. didnt get it fixed soon enough and it turns out overheating=cracked head gasket.

fix that shit!!!

k624ash

i refilled my coolant and i was missing a lot. ithink i must be burning it or something.

DarkRevs2.0

Rollinruckus
i had a problem with the water pump bieng replaced with the wrong bolts and water slowly but surely came out cause all four or five bolts are all different sizes. fixed it and no more leaks

tisguy

mine was due to a leak in the smaller hoses. it basically caused the sensor to go crazy, and the fan wouldnt turn on.