Over Heating

RichC

Over heating problem, I have changed everything, Started last year with a broken Thermostat, had the radiator re-worked at that time with new hoses. This year at Christmas was overheating again, and leaking from the water pump area, so we changed the water pump while doing the Timing belt , also replaced the head gasket. Car ran fine for a few weeks, then again started overheating while doing city driving, but was ok on the freeway, So now we checked fan operation, and decided to jump the fan from the thermo-sensor on the radiator and seemed to work, so replaced the thermo-sensor. Again seemed to initially work, but alas the car is starting to overheat again, so as I precaution checked the Thermostat which tested fine, left it out and the car is still overheating. I do know that the idle might be off a hair, so plan on adjusting that. Any advice would be grateful.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Check your coolant hoses and coolant. Try changing it, and if there's no leaks, use some RedLine water wetter

RichC

That's what I thinking maybe a hose collapsing. What does the Redline water wetter do?

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Supposedly it helps heat transfer on the radiator and lowers your coolant temperature to help against over-heating. I've used it before. It's nice. Just don't pour some in if your coolant system leaks, because you'll be wasting your money.

RichC

Well after the thermo-sensor change, It was going up a mountain grade. Cooled down, I jumped the x-tra Ac fan and seemed to work getting it home. Was heating up still around town. Now with the Thermostat out it takes awhile to warm up (as expected) and then just continues to get hot.

RichC

Also this car used to run real cool when we first got it.

RichC

My son had it checked, they are saying the head gasket is bad again. Anyone know of a good but reasonable shop in the Oakland/Berkley area?

1987ruffnready

I know this sounds strange but I was having a similar problem and someone suggested it might be the battery. I tried it and it worked, something about a weak battery not able to power up sensors.