operating temp w/ silencer?

chrisjames

chrisjames
so i recently installed an apexi n1 cat back exhaust (this summer) and i noticed that my engine isn't getting all the way to operating temperature this winter, it takes about 30min to get the dial to move just above the "c". so just out of boredom today i slapped on my silencer (for the 1st time) and i noticed almost immediately that my car was actually warming up for the 1st time this winter and actually reached operating temp. so what's the deal here gurus', is the back pressure the silencer creates really allowing my car to warm up? i'm confused.
:2confused

Spody02

Name: Cody
dose it stay at the c when driving but once you just sit and idle, dose it go up, cause that means you have a bad thermostat,

easy fix cost about 15 bucks

DC2tegraGSR

I think your thermostat is bad, you're car may be at normal operating temp but the thermostat isn't reading so try replacing it and see what happens... silencers shouldn't create much back pressure

slambedcivic

I think your thermostat is bad, you're car may be at normal operating temp but the thermostat isn't reading so try replacing it and see what happens... silencers shouldn't create much back pressure
Sure they do. Its a restriction in the exhaust.

Seems to be a fluke to me that when you put it in your temps when up to where they need to be. Make sure there are no air pockets/air bubbles in the coolant system. Make sure you have no coolant leaks. Make sure you thermostat is working properly. If youre really feeling spunky, do a compression test.

chrisjames

chrisjames
thanks guys, i'm thinking it's a bad thermostat, spodyo2 is right it does go up at idle then back down when in gear, but before the silencer it didn't ever go up.