Oil Cooler Help!

MontanaG1

Newbie here; however I did search the forum and I tried downloading the shop manual I found on this site which did not work when I downloaded it.

I have an 88 acura integra which I pulled the motor out because the crank was damaged. I just bought a low mileage one, and am now putting the motor in but have run into a problem. There are 4 coolant spouts I have NO idea how to hook up as all the coolant lines were ripped off. 3 spouts are on the oil cooler and 1 is on a separate coolant pipe near the oil cooler which plumbs in by the water pump.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. I bought a Haynes manual which had nothing related to what I need. If I just had a picture or diagram. I'm anxious to get this car going.

Thanks

8689tegs

Welcome to clubintegra MontanaG1 :D

If you will send me your email address I'll send to the FSM. Yahoo doesn't work, but gmail or a real account does. The file is 12mb. The exploded view is on page 85 of the pdf or section 8-3.

Best of luck on the install

8689tegs

I've tried sending it out to a couple people on hotmail and not had any luck. Can you open a gmail account?

Thanks,

Andrew

8689tegs

You're quite welcome

I've just emailed it to you, let me know if you don't receive it shortly.

MontanaG1

I got it; but the same thing, it won't open. Me and my cousin worked some more on the car tonight and we think we narrowed down where the hoses fit. Gonna buy some coolant hose tomorrow and pray for a smooth start up Lord willing.

Thanks for your help. I got a new clutch put in and had my flywheel lightened through this honda machine place so I'm hoping for a little better acceleration over stock.

8689tegs

I have no idea why you couldn't open it other than you may not have Acrobat reader installed.

I can take a picture of the routing on one of my blocks and email it to you to double check if you'd like. It'll be pretty easy to tell if you've got them mismatched- coolant in your oil and vice versa- but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Congrats on the clutch :D How much weight did the shop take off your flywheel?

MontanaG1

The flywheel weighed like 12 or 13 pounds, my scale wasn't completely accurate. I know the weight of it had to be like 25 pounds when I sent it in.

We got hoses figured out, I think. Went to start it and no turn over. Pulled the started and found I forgot to plug in a wire that I didn't see near the bottom of the soelinoid. Went to turn it over after adding some gas to the tank and it fired up and revved nice and fast. Throwing the exhaust together tomorrow, I have a sleight fuel leak on one injected but I ordered a seal kit. I'm hoping to test drive it tomorrow.

I had looked into have my cams reground before I put the motor in. From what I read the only real difference in the American D16 and the ZC was the cams. I still may do it as I have an extra set of cams from the motor I pulled out.

8689tegs

Ok cool, I wouldn't use a flywheel any lighter than that if you're planning on any stop and go DD driving. I had an 8 lb in my B-swapped 89 Teg and it was miserable for driving to work. Wound up putting the stock flywheel back in- waste of gas and touchy clutch.

There's several generations of ZC's for both Integra and Civic/CRX. Are you talking about 86-89 ZC cams and 88-89 D16A1 engine?

MontanaG1

Yeah. The 88-89 D16A1 and the equivelant ZC. But I guess there is only like a 10 HP difference. The D16a1 suppose to be 118 and the ZC 130. But if I ended up boosted I don't know if I should have the cams reground.

I wonder also, what size exhaust are most the G1 tegs running here 2 or 2.5?

I took the car for another test drive tonight and I was pretty happy with the acceleration from the flywheel, although the clutch is a tad touchy, but I think it was worth it. Still making sure I have no leaks or nothing so I'm still taking things easy. I'm pretty excited about opening it up now which I think is the next step.

8689tegs

Sounds good. I can't really give any input on the cams regrinding for boost applications, never had much interest in it yet.

I thought stock tegs ran 1.75 or 2", but I've never measured mine. If you were to open it up a bit I think 2.5 would be plenty. There's not much support for 1st gen Tegs on the aftermarket (comparatively speaking), so you may be forced to custom bend some tubing. I've had bad luck with pacesetter exhausts for CRX's, but others may recommend them.

That's great that you found a good weight for the flywheel- did you happen to take any pics of it before you reinstalled it? I'm curious to see it.