New Piston Rings

Bosco83

I am having my local machine shop rebuild my bottom end. They called me today and we are going to use factory color coated main and rod bearings and put new piston rings in. He said my pistons were fine and to reuse them and the block had no ridge. So the plan is to hone and deck the block put the new rings and bearings in. I was just wondering if it was a bad idea to not replace the wrist pins? Or do they even really wear out? I also ordered a rebuilt cylinder head to go with it for $350.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

Bosco83

No I'm going to have new rings done for sure. I was just worried about doing all this and not replacing the wrist pins. Is it a big deal to not replace the wrist pins?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
oh my bad i completely mis-read that, yeah if they say the wrist pins are in spec then keep the original ones. they aren't a crucial part that gets a lot of wear.

Bosco83

Sweet thanks for the reasurance. I called him today and asked if I should just buy piston and he said there was no point because everything was fine.

Thanks,
Brian

gugiey

Sweet thanks for the reasurance. I called him today and asked if I should just buy piston and he said there was no point because everything was fine.

Thanks,
Brian
if your re building
your engine for a daily driver then your old ones are ok . but if you plan on boosting your engine I wouldn't suggest keeping those wrist
pins ... everything wears and puts extra stress on components

Prozon

Kris
Well if you're boosting you should change out the stock pistons, but it doesn't sound like he is. New pistons should come with new wrist pins..

Rebuilding it should be fine to re-use the wrist pins. Like Tam said, not a really crucial part that wears.

Bosco83

It's really just our back up car. I drive a Honda Ridgeline and I was putting too many miles on it and was sick of having the dogs in it. So we bought this for my commuter/dogmobile. Turns out that I this thing drives so good and gets awesome fuel mileage we pretty much drive it everywhere we go now lol. It really sucks that it burns so much oil because besides that it gets 35-37 mpg has decent power and runs great. I also just installed a Honda Accord 5th gear set and lowered the rpms by 500 so I might get even better fuel mileage now. I would say it's pretty ahead of it's time anyway for being an 89 it's got power windows, keyless entry with remote start, cruise control, and a/c.

Brian