New 94 LS, all motor or boost?

hksb18

GM TECH
whats up guys im new on clubintegra...I recently bought a 94 ls i just wanted to get some opinions about going vtec and boosting or save the money and boost the ls..What im really getting at is have you guys got good numbers and performance with non vtec 1.8l on boost...

Sirfallsalot243

If you are talking about LSVTEC, i would highly recommend you dont boost that setup. A straight LS turbo will be more reliable and make better power than an LSVTEC turbo. There are a ton of reasons, which I can get into if you really like- but all it really boils down to is:

Turbo LS > Turbo LSVTEC.

Ive seen 280whp on stock block B18B's.

hksb18

GM TECH
i heard theres just a lot of snags you can run into with ls/vtec..and i dont feel like buying a head and aditional parts..

Sirfallsalot243

LSVTEC by itself has a bunch of advantages. Better rod/stroke ratio, FAR better flowing head, and higher compression to name a few. But it also has its drawbacks. In a naturally apirated setup, the positives often outweigh the negatives, making it a good, cheap setup to get you anwhere from 155-200whp.

But in boosted form, you run into a whole slew of problems. For starters, the head raises compression by quite a bit- which is the opposite of what you want in a turbo engine.

Here is what I wrote on the matter in a different forum:

LSVTECs are decent when theyre built all motor. There have been some reliability issues, but by and large, theyre not too bad. Granted, I HATE lsvtecs. I think that a bottom end made to rev to 6700 and a head that doesnt make power until 5000 doesnt make a great combination, leaving you with a 1700rpm powerband, give or take.

But when you at boost into the mixture, its a recipe for disaster. VTEC is actually counterproductive to boost, and the only real advantage that a VTEC head has over a B18B one is that it flows way better, and creates a smaller combustion chamber, and thus, higher compression. Lets think about that. Higher compression in itself is a bad thing- the low compression of the B18B is one of the main reasons it is so favorable to boost. Add in the disadvantages of VTEC + Boost, and subtract the better flow characteristics. One step forward, two steps back. It costs around $800 to slap a vtec head on an LS block ($500 head, $200 golden eagle kit, $75 head gasket). For that $800, you could take the LS head and have it ported and polished, 5 angle valve job, all new valve seals and install oversized valves. For a bit more, you could upgrade the valvetrain and raise the redline, or get turbo cams (not really nessecary though). From a monetary AND practicality point of view- the VTEC head on a turboed B18B block is not a great choice.

CLspec

CaliLifeSpec
u can add more boost to an LS , cuz of the c/r. The title states "New 94 LS". its actually "OLD 94 LS" man....hahahahahaha:lol: 8) :roll: :D :evil: 8)

Last edited:

Sirfallsalot243

CLspec said:
u can add more boost to an LS , cuz of the c/r. The title states "New 94 LS". its actually "OLD 94 LS" man....hahahahahaha:lol: 8) :roll: :D :evil: 8)
Hater.:roll: :lol:

integra4life29

Im in a band DO ME!!!!!
If you want all motor, i suggest B20 vtec. Or you can always get an ITR motor and put on some ITB's, that would be nice too.....but i guess you'd need some money for that.

hksb18

GM TECH
thanks for the good ideas...i think ima get a good set of pistions and rods,valve train,and machine work, then buy or piece together a kit,n get it tuned..

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
Kev_98IntegraLS said:
NA>Boost imo...

i wanna build a 150hp all motor non-vtec

yea i changed my mind.. lol
just build your head...with some cams...and u got it.