Need Help! Starting/ignition problems

JayFree

I'm kind of new here, but im having problems with starting my car. thought it was the starter, and changed it twice within the past 4 months. Not the problem. Thought there was a ground because my car drained a few times. now i have the battery pack jump start and my car wont turn on, i have to kick start it constantly to turn on.. anyone know what could be wrong?

its a 91' 4dr rs.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
lol, there should be a ground, do you mean bad ground?

does the car run fine when you get it running?
check the battery for full charge. If its a bad battery then you're car would have problems starting.
check the ground from the block to the frame, or block to the battery, and/or frame to battery.
check the positive terminal wire on your starter, maybe you're not getting power to it.
check the negative side of the starter, maybe its a high resistance in the circut.

JayFree

the car runs fine once its started.
i had my mechanic check my battery, and said it was fine.
he is yet to check if there is a ground.
is there anything else i should look for?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
It could be a bad ignition coil and/or a bad ICM. But those going bad wouldn't kill the battery.

JayFree

TegSox said:
It could be a bad ignition coil and/or a bad ICM. But those going bad wouldn't kill the battery.
I changed the ignition coil about 8 to 9 months ago..i've been looking into my car and sometime it will start if i turn the ignition at a certain spot a few times, then it will start. so i'm thinking about changing the ignition switch..do you think i should do this, or see if there are anyother possibilities?

JayFree

Today i chceked everything. and thought i'd try putting a push start.
its been working fine so far, lets see how long this will last for.
but hopefully this was the problem, bcus it starts no problem now.

JayFree

yea i'll go check it out. but i think this push start is good enough for me. it'll serve me well. lol

JayFree

that would be hella nice. i should go look for some and change it to that. then i'll be satisfied.