Need Alittle Info

ls_gsr

I have been getting a couple different opinions on something and need some help.I have been told the GSR intake manifold is really restrictive and i will see a big boost in HP and an overall better curve.But i have also been told that unless i'm boosting or have head work and cams i won't see much of a gain.So if you guys can give me your opinions.O i have intake and cat back,soon to have header and test pipe.So i was gonna go ahead and get the mani with the header and cat but you guys let me know if its a waist of money.And i know i'm gonna need some sort of engine managment system if i get the mani.Thinking of getting the new v-afc NEO so let me know what you think about that and give me other options.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I would wait until I got cams atleast. The aftermarket IM on an almost stock car may give you a few hp on top if you are lucky, but the shorter and much fatter intake runners will ruin your low end power which will make your car slower in the long run. I would definitely wait if you only have intake/header/exhaust.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
dc2GS-R's right on the money. An aftermarket IM on a B18C1 with stock internals will lower you low end and midrange power in exchange for small gains in the upper rpm's, you'll be slower overall. The stock GSR IM flows well enough to support up to around 200whp. Definitley get bigger cams and/or higher compression pistond before you get a larger IM.

ls_gsr

ok after the header and cat i was thinking of going with a crank pulley and cam gears are they worth the money?what set of cams do you guys recomend ( stock ITR"s?)also what do you guys think aout the v-afc i mean i can get a series 1 for pretty cheap but of course the 2 or the NEO would be better but would the series 1 be good enough?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I would not get an aftermarket crank pulley. Those things are garbage, you will lose your harmonic dampner.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I wouldn't bother with the crank pulley either.....especially an underdrive pulley. They will increase power all across the board slightly but the trade off of losing the dampener and reducing the effectiveness of your a/c and alternator aren't worth the tradeoff IMO. You can get some pretty good gains out of adjustable cam gears but they MUST be tuned on a dyno by someone who really knows what they are doing and knows the limitations of the valve to piston clearances. I don't really care for the VAFC just for the simple fact that when you modify the air flow signal with one, it moves the ECU to a different part of the fuel and ignition maps which changes your ignition timing. That can be helped by having an ignition timing controller but by the time you spend the money on both you could have just bought one single unit with more precision and capabilities. It really all comes down to your preferences and your budget though.