My first 87 Teg

1stgen

faster = better :)
Yo, i just got my 2nd car an 87 teg in pretty bad shape... I had to replace the brake pads, shocks and struts, and fill all the liquids and get new hoses so far.... anyway i like it allot and want to make it a project car, yet be my daily driver at the same time... OK.... First off I would like to say I enjoy this forum for the short time i have been reading... anyway lol.... where do you think i can get a center console in ok condition... or maybe an aftermarket one for my teg? and i am hoping to find a cheap B16 or B18 engine to replace my D before it dies on me for cheap... how should i go about it? looking localy or just spendin the big bucks and gettin one shipped? I am a part time worker and still in school so any adavice on how to go about tuing would be greatly appreciated!!! Ill post pictures of this beauty in the works later when i can!!!:twisted:

Last edited:

graveyardhippie

i have occasionally caught center consoles on ebay, craigslist, and g1teg.org. but the ones with armrests are few and far between, i havent looked for the standard one, but it never hurts to call up the old junkyard.
you can usually find b18a1's pretty cheap, and there's less headache with that swap, but just fyi, it doesnt bolt in. you have to get some mounts from hasport, axles from there or make your own hybrid ones, and there is no longer a kit for the shift linkage, so you have to fab yours to work for the B swap.
the cheapest perf. upgrade for this car is usually the ZC top end. better cams, better bore. the block for it tho, also has a different mount position so you run into that problem again, and for the ZC block, it's not worth it. the head tho does make a difference.
where's ur local if u dont mind me askin?

1stgen

im from San Antonio, TX... thanks for the link to the console i appreciate it!!! so if i get the B18 how expensive would fabbing my own shift linkage be? I havnt had the opputunity to go to my local junk yard.... I will call them this weekend though... I will post pics in a few min...

Last edited:

1stgen

Nice Eight-Six! I mean, DA.
DA??? o yea i was gonna ask whats the best site for a B18 Sry i meant B not D or ZC... whatever cheaper and more worthwhile...

Last edited:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
DA??? o yea i was gonna ask whats the best site for a D18 or ZC... whatever cheaper and more worthwhile...
D-Series... At least go with a B-Series man. You definitely regret going single-cam man. Think about it.

graveyardhippie

there's a dual cam ZC that bolts onto our bottom ends, he wouldnt be going single cam.

the shift linkage is probably the cheapest part, if i remember you just cut out a piece of it, and weld it back together. so anyone that messes with metal at all should be able to do that dirt cheap, there's a B-swap how to on this forum, if it doesnt have the measurement on how much to chop off just let me know, i'll find it for you.

1stgen

h22... thats kinda expensive for the whole motor swap right? well im tight on money... at pep boys someone told me i could find lots of B16's cheap stolen for under a grand easy, but i dont really want to go to jail though lol...

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
yeah .. CI doesnt take kindly to theives either.. so thats a bad idea. lol..

But if you are looking for a real affordable engine swap, you could always buy a used LS block and build that up with a vtec head, possibly boost, etc.. You can pick up a used B18a1 LS engine for around $250-$300.00 well, thats around my area anyways at the local junk yard. If you are looking for a nicer swap such as a B17 B16, B18c, then you are looking more into the $2500 - $3500.00 price range. Unless that is you know someone who has one like I got who sold me the engine for real cheap. But theres not too many of them laying around. Looks like a fun project car though. I'm sure you probably could find the center console at your local junk yard as well.. If nothing comes up, you can always find pieces on ebay for reasonable prices. Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Weclome to CI !:welcome:

graveyardhippie

http://www.hasport.com/products/mount_kits/avb1.htm
you'll need most of this stuff, plus the engine, tranny and custom shift linkage. the b16 or gsr engine will cost a bit more to swap in b/c you have vtec to deal with.
if i remember right the h22 swap came in nearly the same price, but you have more fab work to do. the tranny stays stock with the bisimoto kit, so you just need to get someone to make engine mounts, and you'll have to do some cutting to have room for the pulleys and belt. not sure about the hood clearance as it hasn't been done, then just convert your obd to accept the lude ecu and your (hopefully) set.
also, the h swap leaves you with stock axles if you ever break one or need replacement whatevers. with the b you either have to fab some or order them from hasport again. they are quite pricey there. i have everything laid out for any swap on my comp, so if/when you get serious, pm me and i'll help you piece it all together.
if your looking for best bang for the buck, it may simply be to do a turbo setup. the b swap isnt as fast in these cars as i would like to go thru that trouble, i'll try to find times for you later.

graveyardhippie

yeah .. CI doesnt take kindly to theives either.. so thats a bad idea. lol..

But if you are looking for a real affordable engine swap, you could always buy a used LS block and build that up with a vtec head, possibly boost, etc.. You can pick up a used B18a1 LS engine for around $250-$300.00 well, thats around my area anyways at the local junk yard. If you are looking for a nicer swap such as a B17 B16, B18c, then you are looking more into the $2500 - $3500.00 price range. Unless that is you know someone who has one like I got who sold me the engine for real cheap. But theres not too many of them laying around. Looks like a fun project car though. I'm sure you probably could find the center console at your local junk yard as well.. If nothing comes up, you can always find pieces on ebay for reasonable prices. Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing your progress!

Weclome to CI !:welcome:
the downer with these cars is the mounts/axles/wires and odds and ends needed for the swap without the engine or tranny is roughly 1500 bux

1stgen

Hmmm ok graveyard thanks for the help... i know the mounts and all that are very expensive even without the engine... but i dont see allot of tuning capabilities with this D16a (I think??)... so if there are other modes of gaining speed with this engine let me know! I mostly care about top end, i dont do allot of dragging, allthough i want to go to my local track just to have some fun... ne ways im goin out to the junk yard on saturday to see what i can find... I went to a car club last night and they said i could prob find a B16 there for $500 or so...