Mangled Lug Nut...

kory_k

Hello, I'm back again with another problem. I got my car in the summer, and didn't realize there was a lug nut on the drivers side rear completely mangled. When I went to rotated the tires I had the passengers side front tire off, and went to the back to come across, a lug nut completely ruined. Now, it's not just stripped but split down the damn middle. I was wondering if I had to torch off the stud, or if there was an easier, cost efficient way.

Thanks

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
you might be able to drill it out, but my guess is you're going to have to torch it out.

Probably will end up fucking up the wheel while you're at it with a torch tho... GL homie.. that's never fun

kory_k

...Thanks man, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, maybe I'll take it to my dads buddys autoshop, see if he could do it cheap, or for free. I definately would fuck it up more.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
agreed. Happened to my buddy's neon a couple months ago. Lug stripped out. I had the old guy at the shop come over and blow out the stud cause I didn't want to even try it.

He did a hella good job, never touched the rim even, but the heat was enough to warp the mounting face on the wheel. :what:

neon wheels are cheap tho, so it wasn't that bad for him.

my guess you dont have cheap wheels on your car...

kory_k

Nope, I don't. And right now I dont have the money to get a new set. So it just is going to have to wait, along with everything else I want to get done...

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^ that would more likely mangle the wheel even more. Plus you have no where for the stud to get pounded out thru.

If the nut is rusted to the stud, there's no way you're going to get a air hammer to break it loose. you'll just end up pealing the nut.

sciullo779

did the lug partly break off or did you just round off the "threads" for a socket? because if you have a dremel (worst case scenario) or preferrable a air powered grinder or cut off wheel you gan grind down 2 of the sides and use a wrench, or try to make 6 for a socket its not ez though

Md426

Get a crappy over sized socket that will fit, that you don't need, head to napa and get the metalized epoxy putty, fill the socket with it and press it on to the lug nut and let it dry. It should hold well enough to get that nut out, make sure you clean it of oil first.

kory_k

Thats a good idea. I will probably end up doing that because it will be cheap. Have you ever done this, or know of it working?

Thanks

Md426

Thats a good idea. I will probably end up doing that because it will be cheap. Have you ever done this, or know of it working?

Thanks
I haven't used it for that but if you go to Napa they should have a display with a penny stuck in it, tough stuff, you get the penny if you can get it out haha.

xusake

just go to the junk yard and buy a new arm piece but i don't know if u'll fine any because of the honda/acura things. But im sure it cheap and it also depend on where ur located at. but gl with the fixing

wite2nr

Get a crappy over sized socket that will fit, that you don't need, head to napa and get the metalized epoxy putty, fill the socket with it and press it on to the lug nut and let it dry. It should hold well enough to get that nut out, make sure you clean it of oil first.
man thats a good idea, i would have never thought of that. i work with epoxy for a living too