low compression, overheating & clacking

zepeda

My car overheated. We found out the headgaset was bad and the head was warped. Four months later i aquired a used head. The only thing it had wrong was a chipped intake valve. I replaced it with one of the other head. I installed the head with new head gasket kit. Upon completing the head installation i put new plugs, pvc, oil and did ignition timing. Thats when i noticed a clacking noise coming from the intake side or under the car. I did a valve lash adjustment but still making that sound. Anyways, i drove the car around and ran okay but had low idle around 500 rpms. It felt like it wanted to turn off. Two days later it started to overheat. Driving to the store and the temp will rise to 3/4 or more then drop instantly to 1/2 as i stop. I find it hard to belive the car can change temperture that fast. So. I did a compression test while engine cold and got 150, 110, 90, 150. I know the compression is low but what do you guys thing i should do? For some reason i think the head is to blame for all these issues. Should i use a different head or swap the engine. I currently got a stock 1.8 engine/automatic tranny

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
you sure you timed it correctly? which valve was chipped? that low compression probably has something to do with your car acting up..... lol What linked you from hot to cold = compression test is beyond me, but whatever works. lol

can you do a leak down text at all? that should tell you where the compression is "going". lol

zepeda

Yes. I followed the step on one of the forums. I believe the chip valve was on the intake side on #3 or the exhaust side on #2. Read about the hot cold compression test on a forum. It just confused me more. lol Later today i will see if i can get a leak down test done.

zepeda

Well i did the leakdown test on my 91 acura integra rs and looks like the cylinder #2 with low compression is bad. I rechecked the compression and i got 50psi this time around. That explains the rod knock, poor idle, and perhaps the overheating. So i pulling the head off to have it check at a head shop to verify its okay. Meanwhile i need to replace my short block. Any ideas? I found some guy who is selling a longblock but is out of a 5-speed integra and mine is a automatic. What do i need to do to convert it to an automatic? I am also thinking about pullling a used block from the junk yard. Basically i want to keep it stock due califronia strict smog rules.