It's Mom Again

Integra Mom

Howdy All!

Several years ago, for my oldest son, I bought a 3rd gen car that needed work while he was learning to drive, etc. You guys were always great in helping us make the changes...even performance enhancements, etc. And although I was hoping his investment in time in working on his project car would help him build appreciation and sense of pride in ownership--well, my experiment failed. He ended up totaling the thing. (Safe and sound though- *whew.*)

Oh well, flash forward to today. Youngest son, I am attempting my experiment again. Call my crazy. But I found a 2002 Acura RSX Type S, body in excellent shape, but has mechanical issues. Probably bigger than my limited knowledge and expertise--but that's the fun part sometimes, right? She is not a runner at the moment.

So I just wanted to give all you fine folks a warning-- I"M BACK! So I will be searching the threads, reviving some old ones you thought were long dead, usually to ask silly and stoopid questions that only a mother would ask.

First line of business, this vehicle has been sitting for quite awhile. Need to do fluid changes (especially the 3/4 tank of gas) usually tune up stuffs. Engine wants to turn, just wont. And we will see where we go from there. But--if want to add other thoughts to my "start" list, please feel free to chime in.

Integra Mom

Oh....I should also mention, this car is totally stock as shipped from factory. No mods, or other things to figure out.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would do an entire tune up first.
including all fluids except the coolant - leave that one until you know the car starts.I would change the gas as well. Does the check engine light come on and go away after 2 clicks of the key? take the starter out and do a check on it also.

EyeKhan

¡AY, CARAMBA!
Welcome back!

i would do an entire tune up first.
including all fluids except the coolant - leave that one until you know the car starts.I would change the gas as well. Does the check engine light come on and go away after 2 clicks of the key? take the starter out and do a check on it also.
x2

Last edited:

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
i think you need to start off by giving your kid a beater... let him earn his way up and try not to give it to him. iono, i have a younger sis, they get the new stuff and dont really appeciate it cause they know they'll just get another one, thats just IMO. buy hey, maybe your kid does deserve it?

i'd say, if he wants that RSX to run, he better put in all the work. i mean you can assist, just dont be the parents that end up doing their science project for them ;)

Integra Mom

Thanks for the warm welcome back.

I do appreciate your responses. Samurai: No...No Check Engine Light.

99Teg: Oh...he probably will be, but he is still a very young teen, just don't expect him to claim me.

Daily: Like I said, call me crazy. My whole point was not to make it free and I am usually just oversite and extra set of hands when needed. In fact, I made older keep time cards, that I applied to him being able register and title car in own name, he invested in all parts during the time himself. I consider myself lucky...the males I had in my family as growing up always made me turn my own wrench, and it has benefited me in sooo many other ways as well. I would like to pay it forward. And yeah..."the beater" thing resonates with me...I remember my first car, about every 3 months the after market alternator would shake off the engine chassis--and I had limited funds, I learned how to fix. Lets just agree, I got a deal I could not refuse. That way...a potential of something "wonderful" could happen.

phatintegra

Banned
The first thing I would check is the oil and make sure it's not milky. If it is I would turn away from it.

Once the vehicle start cross your finger there is no other problem like blown head gasket, motor knock, loose bearing, etc.

How many miles are on the RSX?

Last edited:

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
you're not krazy... you just love your kids a lot. :thumbs up

<--- totaled my first car my parents bought me, LOL

JETxGREEN

JEFF
I know right i need a mom like that i had to pay for my first car all by myself. Totalled it 6 months later (wasn't really my fault semi driver waved me on... i learned my lesson) and decided to fix it anyways.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Hi mom.

You can take 10 different approaches but in the end he has to come to appreciate things on his own. All you can do is try. One of the biggest things to remember is that he can learn a great deal of appreciation from people around him that are interested in the same things. We dont always take always take what we should from the experiences around us when it comes from family members. I became more meticulous about some things from my friend who works on cars and i have do the work i cant do because of his attention to detail and how well he takes care of things. If he comes to love his car he will appreciate it a lot more. Some are dissuaded by dealing with problems.

In tackling the starting issue, the basic things you need are spark, fuel and air. I would start from spark and work your way back.

bought my integra all by myself at age 17. took hard ass work i'll tell you what

Last edited:

Integra Mom

I had to work today, but we spent some time getting a cursory look at things, putting together a parts list. Spark Plugs aren't bad, a little gunked up but appear to be gapped properly. Oil didn't look bad but it difantely has some fuel in it.

I did pull a CarFax. Vehicle was maintained every 3 months up until a Dec 2008, then only a few oil changes and some recommended maintenance reported, then in Dec 2010 a title transfer with 9k miles put on it since that title transfer--history is silent. Like I said, it has been sitting a long while.

But yeah, see pic below. I do have to say, son is being very enthusiastic and meticulous. He isn't exactly sure what he is looking at--but he is looking around, marking notes of what bolts, spacers, etc go. "Because all those little parts have to go together precisely to make it work." May just have a future gear head here (which I am not, BTW). :)

Okay, I am looking at picture, it is not the best, but you will get the idea.

Okay...insert pic is not working for me...here is the link to flickr: http://flic.kr/p/cBaigE

Last edited: