injector?...piston?...bent valve?

MRGSR31

cut it down to short story...was on the freeway playing around...i was on 3rd going 60 and instead of shifting to 4th i accidently down shift to 2nd...and all you hear is the vtec scream...exit freeway, car starts shaking when idling...misfires when gasing...and when at completes stop..rpm goes down almost to zero and comes back up...car boggs so much...theres no power...check wires they were fine, replaced spark plugs, change rotor and cap on the distributor...but the problem is still there...now i tried started my car today and it refuses to start...its been sitting there since friday...is it because the engine is cold?...it clicks and everything...and i can see it trying to start but then doesnt start =(...need help asap... had my friend check it out a few days ago...he say it can be either my fuel injector, piston, or a bent valve....o yea..when taking out the spark plug wires while the car is running your suppose to feel the engine loose power right? and then you quickly put the wire back in and the power comes back...well when i take it out of cylinder 3 there no difference..it doesnt loose power?...NEED HELP CI !

speedin

The Transporter
bent valve. that second gear caught ya. you see the b series has a "valve chasing design"(idk the real name) and u went over the rpms limits and the spring couldnt pull the valve back fast enough so the piston hit it. thats my guess.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Damn that sucks, that has happened to me before, 4th to 2nd, went up to about 9500 rpm but its fine, you must have gone past that,

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Sounds like a bent valve (or valves) to me. And what would have bent the valve? The piston, so it could be damaged too.
The term speedin is thinking of is "interference engine". We have interference engines, which is when the piston chases the valves, so when you overrev or snap a timing belt, there's a good chance the pistons and valves will come in contact. Not guaranteed to happen, but it's physically possible.
On non interference engines, the piston doesn't ever come up high enough in the cylinder to reach the valves. So if a similar bad situation happens, the pistons and valves can't touch each other.

MRGSR31

so the problem is a bent valve?...well im planning to do a diagnostic check to be sure...does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to repair and replace?

speedin

The Transporter
TegSox said:
Sounds like a bent valve (or valves) to me. And what would have bent the valve? The piston, so it could be damaged too.
The term speedin is thinking of is "interference engine". We have interference engines,.
muahaha! thats the term lol. yea and their could be piston damage too, forgot to mention that.
MRGSR31 said:
so the problem is a bent valve?...well im planning to do a diagnostic check to be sure...does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to repair and replace?
run a compression test if your not shure and you see one it WAY off. but im tellin ya its a valve. and as far as costs idk, never had this problem. ask cabezzzdb8 he said he did it before

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Well like TegSox said if the valves bent its gonna be because of the piston so you can probablly leave the jacked up piston in and It won't affect it too much, well it'll run but I would say your looking at at least a grand or two depending on how good of buds you and your mechanic are. Mind as well just get a full rebuild done once your in there mind as well fix everything, labor is expensive parts are cheap.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
if you spin it too fast on the stock valve springs then the valves will float and hit a piston. so thats very likely. i've seen happen on a 97 prelude though and it bent a rod.