Idle Surge/Soft Clutch/Oil in spark plug well/+ tons more

citymunky

I just picked this 1988 Integra LS not to long ago with the Body at 230K on it, and the motor at 130K. The plans for the day is gas saver since I drive a Titan (13 MPG) , teach the wife how to drive stick and let her drive it. I Posted this on g1teg, but it seems dead over there.

Here it is prelude wing that the OP found at the junkyard and did a crappy job installing. (I want the wiper arm back.) He told me the owner before him removed it, looks like LIES to me.

I didn't know it's history before I picked up, but I picked it knowing it can crank but not start. After some google searching I was petty sure the problem was the main relay or the distributor, however being new to Honda's and cars with distributors I couldn't be 100% sure until the car was mine. When I picked up the car he told me he when to mall pick up some stuff and when he was leaving the car just died and all the dash lights turned on.

After a few test, I quickly ruled out the main relay as the problem since the fuel pump shut off after 2 sec's along with the check engine light. So I decided to see it If I was getting spark, I was not. When doing test on the ignition coil and Igniter, I noticed if I move the black/yellow wire on the igniter it will cause the coil to spark. So I ordered a re-man Beak/Arnley distributor from RockAuto. Well that just came in today, once I replaced it I jumped the car/battery with my truck. It took a few tries to get started (had to give it gas), the Teg idled high at 2000 RPM's it took a few minutes to drop to 1500 and took a few minutes more to drop more and which the idle surge started. No surprise to me, while the car is stock engine wise, the vacuum hoses look like a hack job.

Once I got the warmed up the 1st thing I noticed is the car needs valve adjustment. I took it for a quick spin around the block, I quickly noticed is the clutch is very soft, and the brakes suck. When I was pulling back up driveway from my 2 minute drive I noticed a little smoke coming from under the hood. The dip stick popped out spraying a little oil on the exhaust manifold, I also noticed the #2 spark plug wire was slightly popped out. When I pulled out the wire to get it to stay on the spark plug there was pool of oil in the spark plug well. I looked at the other 3 spark plug wells they were all filled with pools of oil.

Cliff notes of known problems I just found:

-Crack/No started
-Needs Valve Adjusted
-Idle surge and a little white smoke from tail pipe
-Hacked Vacuum Routing
-Drip stick pops out while driving
-Oil in spark plugs well
-Valve Cover gasket is worn out.
-very soft clutch ( I can't tell where the engagement point it)
-Small crack on cheap Distributor car (maybe like 3mm long)
-No Distributor seal
-Need to repair O2 sensor wire.
-Crappy rear wing job looks cheap
-Lower port on the evap canister that goes to the throttle body was broken off
-Bottom of PVC valve into the big to fit vacuum hose that is routed from under the intake manifold.
-Rear hatch seal is torn and allowing water to get into the car when it rains.

History I learned from this from g1teg:
-The engine has 130k
-The idle surge and white smoke is not new http://www.g1teg.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=207
-Car most likely will throw CEL # 9 at 4K RPM's
-Brake problem is not new http://www.g1teg.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=281&p=1738#p1738
-Head Gasket and valves were replaced http://www.g1teg.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=186

So far I performed a to get the car running.
-Replaced the distributor (Car now runs)
-Valve Adjustment (Should have fixed lifter tick)
-Replaced the valve cover/spark plug gaskets (no more oil in spark plug wells)
-Oil change
-Replaced the brake master cylinder, I still need to bleed the brakes.
-Replaced torn vacuum hoses, applied 1/4' hose clamps to all vacuum hose that were easy to pull off.

Last edited:

enoch723

white smoke came out of the dipstick? Sounds like you have some blow by. Try replacing the pcv and if that doesnt work either new piston rings or replacing the engine will be the only fix

citymunky

I didn't say anything about white smoke coming from the dipstick. White smoke is coming from the tailpipe. The dipstick pop while I was driving around the block.