I need a cat or a test pipe...

Regulator23

well here is my problem...

i bought a jdm style header... 2.5 longer piping 2.5 collector...heres the problem....the cat wont fit...so if anyone could point me in the direction of a store that has a 2.5 cat w/ the flanges or a 2.5 test pipe, one that FITS the 2.5 collector, not just 2.5 piping...that would be GREAT!!! also i was wondering which you guys think would be a better buy... apexi' gt spec cat-back or invidia n-1 cat-back, both the same price... just some reviews would be good, and teg sox, if its in the wrong section dont hang me haha...just help me LoL!!!

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
You should buy a universal Carsound 2.5 inch cat. A shop can then cut it to legnth, put flanges on and add an O2 bung (or 2 if you are OBD2 and there's not a bung in the header), and your all set.
Your in Cali and your considering a test pipe? :shock:
Do you realize that now that you have a 2.5 inch collector, and soon a 2.5 inch cat, you now really should get a 2.5 inch exhaust? You don't want to "step down" in size in an exhaust system. You want things to either remain the same size as you go back, or "step up" in size. Going down in exhaust diameter will hurt flow and cause you to lose power.
What are your other mods, what are your future plans for mods?
Now when have I ever hung anybody? :) :what:

Regulator23

#1 uve hung me more than once!!! LoL
#2 the Gt spec is 60mm piping which is 2.32 piping abouts.... i cant find any other exhausts that are that big that arent turbo back...
right now i have a 2.5 header back custom exhaust but the welds on the header broke, so i get a new 1 under warranty... long story short, yeah i kno i need 2.5 piping haah, the mods include...

stage2 cams skunk2
2.5 header back no rez high-flow cat( the whole thing needs to be fixed came with the car)
lightened flywheel
noname cai aem filter... any suggestions from the GREAT teg sox would be nice haha!

i want to get a J's racing intake for the beast but we'll see...

Regulator23

any help would be good?! i thot apexi' gt spec was close to 2.5 any one know a exhaust that is 2.5?!?

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Your best bet would be a custom mandrel bent set up with your choice of muffler, any competent speed shop should be able to do it and ill cost you less than them name brands and perform the same

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The only companies I know of that make 2.5 inch exhausts are Hytech, SMSP and Type One Racing. The Apexi GT spec is 2.36 inches with a straight through muffler. That little .14 inches definitley make a difference.

96 LS

spoolin performance makes a 2.5in dont they? minus a muffler...

but i got a newbie question...what the hell is a test pipe? like a straight pipe in place of the cat.?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
A test pipe is just a section of pipe used to replace the catalytic converter. Most people install one to get rid of the restrictive stock cat because it's cheaper than being responsible and buying a high flow cat, some people do it because they think test pipes make more power than having a high flow cat there, but they don't. Plus they're not street legal, you'll fail emmissions tests and your exhaust will stink like rotten ass.
I have no idea why it's called a test pipe.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Yes they do make more hp than a hight flow cat, i've seen it on a graph about 3 more :p
and my exhaust smells the same pure fuel hmmmmmmm
and I have a brand new cat just not installed