How to change the main relay in a 1990 Integra GS??

storm2313

I love this car but i'm afraid I'm a rookie when it comes to performing simple fixes.

Does anyone have pictures for changing the main relay for this car or at least some instructions?

I hate to go to the stealership or high priced mechanic for an easy fix..

Thank you.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
locate the relay, un plug it and if it is screwed to the body unscrew it.. then put the new one in and start the car.
he's gonna need a little more help than that. he's asking where it is etc. don't tell him to locate it if he doesn't know where to look.

step by step, and its definitely easy. i've had to do it on mine.

1. remove the lower panel below the steering wheel (2 screws outside, 1 inside the coin tray)
2. take a LONG EXTENSION with a 10mm socket (extension needs to be at least 6" i used a 6" and a 3" to make sure i had enough.
3. the relay is a brown (or newer relays have a black casing) rectangular box with one of the following stamps on it. RZ-0067 (OLD BROWN MODEL) or RZ-0063 (NEW BLACK BOX MODEL) its almost dead center under the steering wheel. look around for about 10 seconds, the stamp is bold and obvious, can't miss it.
4. remove the bolt that secures the relay to the under dash area (one bolt, easy to remove, kind of a pain to put back in, but its doable with patience)
5. if you ordered a new one from the dealer and got the RZ-0063 casing, you will need to swap the black box "case" for the brown "casing" as the mounting bracket on the new one faces the wrong direction and won't bold up correctly. its a simple swap, takes 10 seconds and fits perfect (it is the same part, after all.
6. simply unplug the harness from the old relay to the new one.
7. swap "cases" if needed as mentioned in step 5, if you haven't done so already.
8. bolt it back up to where it was originally located.
9. put your under dash panel back on
10. start car.
11. drive
12. return home
13. get online
14. go to clubintegra.com
15. thank me for the assistance ;)

**NOTE**
steps 13-15 are purely optional, but encouraged.

he's gonna need a little more help than that. he's asking where it is etc. don't tell him to locate it if he doesn't know where to look.

step by step, and its definitely easy. i've had to do it on mine.

1. remove the lower panel below the steering wheel (2 screws outside, 1 inside the coin tray)
2. take a LONG EXTENSION with a 10mm socket (extension needs to be at least 6" i used a 6" and a 3" to make sure i had enough.
3. the relay is a brown (or newer relays have a black casing) rectangular box with one of the following stamps on it. RZ-0067 (OLD BROWN MODEL) or RZ-0063 (NEW BLACK BOX MODEL) its almost dead center under the steering wheel. look around for about 10 seconds, the stamp is bold and obvious, can't miss it.
4. remove the bolt that secures the relay to the under dash area (one bolt, easy to remove, kind of a pain to put back in, but its doable with patience)
5. if you ordered a new one from the dealer and got the RZ-0063 casing, you will need to swap the black box "case" for the brown "casing" as the mounting bracket on the new one faces the wrong direction and won't bold up correctly. its a simple swap, takes 10 seconds and fits perfect (it is the same part, after all.
6. simply unplug the harness from the old relay to the new one.
7. swap "cases" if needed as mentioned in step 5, if you haven't done so already.
8. bolt it back up to where it was originally located.
9. put your under dash panel back on
10. start car.
11. drive
12. return home
13. get online
14. go to clubintegra.com
15. thank me for the assistance ;)

**NOTE**
steps 13-15 are purely optional, but encouraged.
Posts like this are why your mom named him Resident G2 Guru of CI:thumbs up
*This and the total non-stop pwnage threads*

sorry I didn't mean to come off as a jerk.. I know where they are on a civic but not on an integra.. I figured a quick google search would tell or if he had a haynes manual.

My point was no need for a dealer.. it is just a plug and play deal.. old out new in etc.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
Posts like this are why your mom named him Resident G2 Guru of CI:thumbs up
*This and the total non-stop pwnage threads*
Quoted For Truth! lol

and spooledup, no worries. i didn't mean to come off as an ass in this particular instance (though, please feel free to review the threads that I have issued massive amounts of PWN upon, lol) so if you thought i was being a prick in any way, please know that I wasn't trying to be. If I was, TRUST ME, you'd know, lol.

OP, glad I could help. Hope it all works out for ya. Let me know if you still have any problems after the install. I'm assuming you're having starting issues, so if for whatever reason this doesn't fix it, I have quite a few other ideas up my sleeve that could remedy your problem.

lmk if you need further assistance.