Horrible performance after warm up.

okfine

Hi, and HELP. I have spent days trying to diagnose a really poor drivability issue. 1992 Integra with a 1.8 DOHC and an Automatic transmission. Car runs fantastic for the approximately the first thirty minutes. After that it feels like it is running out of gas, starts bucking and jerking but idles fine. No codes and CEL does not come on. I have replaced the fuel filter and the spark plugs. Ran injector cleaner through it. Isolated the EGR and the Intake air temperatue sensor. Nothing makes a difference. Vehicle has 190 thousand and was running like a top. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
so when the car gets warm...

What's a sensor that isn't used when the car is in open loop? it only uses the O2 sensor when it's in open loop,right?

okfine

No Change yet

Well it wasn't the plug wires, They were only 2 years old but I went ahead and replaced them. Seems that if it was the O2 sensors it would through a code. Engine isn't getting hot enough to boil over even though I have not checked the actual temperature, Hasn't lost any water. Beginning to think is ECU. Thanks for all you r input and if you have any more feel free to give it. I live life in a we world.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
hook a fuel pressure guage to it and watch what the pressure is when its acting up. my crx did the same thing and it was garbage in the tank sucking up on the strainer. could be a fuel pump,jus tryn to help. gl

okfine

Latest update

Took the car to a friends house for help, Convinced me it was the O2 sensor, Well we replaced it and I drove it home and it messed up again and now it will not start at all. One note though is that I noticed when it starts messing up it is a gradual process. Starts missing a little bit and then just gets worse and worse. I borrowed a fuel pressure guage but it doesn't have the proper fitting to hook up so now I am trying to rig up a connector. That is the progress so far, I will keep you posted of any new developements.

okfine

Well for the latest update it seem the catalytic convertor melted down and plugged up the exhaust. Had all new exhaust put on and problem remains. Seems like it is dumping to much fuel so that is the leasd I am following. Ashop looked at it and said the bearing were out in the distributor. I couldnt find any play in the shaft but the rotor bug was really loose and missing the screw that hollds it in place so i replaced it. Problem still remains and seems to be getting worse

okfine

Final Entry

Thanks for weveryones help. What I did to fix the problem. First I rechecked all connections inside the distributor, sprayed out with compressed air, cleaned inside of didtributor cap with denatured alcohol and let dry thoroughly, Put it all back together and the car runs fine. Appears distributor was fine.