hesitation/rough acceleration

jonesb

Hello everyone. I have a 2004 RSX base model (with automatic transmission with sport shift), it has 103k miles on it. I bought the car two months ago and recently I have noticed a problem that seems to be getting worse the more I drive it. Let me lay out what I have figured so far....

If the car is in neutral and stopped, I can Rev my engine and not experience anything unusual.
if the car is in drive (or first if using sport shift) and stopped, if I press down on the accelerator with a moderate to heavy pressure the whole car will shake until I am no longer accelerating (I reach my desired speed). At this point it drives smoothly.
if the car is in drive (or first if using sport shift) and stopped, and I press down on the accelerator with a slow, light pressure the car will accelerate smoothly without any hesitation or shaking.

I replaced the spark plugs with NGK iridium plugs a week ago. Was kind of hoping the spark plugs would fix the issue but it had no effect on it at all.

This is speculation, becouse I have no way to prove it, but around the time the shaking started I also noticed that the engine "seems" to be under a heavier load than before. But I don't know if this is just me being used to a manual transmission in my civic. It almost feels as if I am carrying a empty trailer behind me. It just seems that something is causing some resistance somewhere.

I have no CEL. The car idles perfectly while sitting still.

Any assistance or diagnostic methods would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: