Help with struts?

advent_lee

OK, So I'm sure you all have heard the same questions and seen the same problems and *noob users out there so I will do my best to simplify everything I can about what I know, want, and need assistance with. SO bear with me please! >__< 1st off, COMPLETE car Noob. Slowly learning along the way about everything, but this is my first true car in which I will also be working on with my brother in law.

Recently bought a 97 Gs-R (DD) and I have to replace the struts. They are simply worn and the right side tire is rubbing =/ I've done a bit of research on coil overs and come to the conclusion I don't *need them. I just want to buy a set of good struts, but I'm not sure what would be a good choice. I'm looking at about $400 to work with and plan on changing all the struts, and the front CV axles as well. (The right CV axle has a busted boot >,<) I don't know if it would be OK to find any *decent brand struts Ex. NAPA or if the OEM struts are the best. ANy suggestions or tips? Also, anything else that would come into mind to check/tune -up while I do the struts/ axles? My main thing is to maintain the car and at least bring it into it's prime. IF it's possible to increase performance even just a little, I'd enjoy that. >__< OH! ANother thing just in case, My next thing is to replace the head gasket seal so budget is important, but I'm willing to delve a little for sake of car health/performance. Sorry for the long rambling!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sum- UP >_<
NEED TO CHANGE STRUTS!!!
$400 +/- to work with
Doing Cv Axle at same time
Anything else to check while under?
Most Important: CAR NOOB!
Should I do anything about the springs/shocks?

Thank you again and my apologies if I mis-post categories or anything of the sort! Links are VERY welcome!

Oh, and a small side note, I live in the south AWAY from dreaded SALT!!! XD

P.S. I'm I've noticed things about *Stiffness/Dampening and will research more when I can afford the time, but any dumbed down version/explanations pertaining to the suspension would be greatly appreciated!