help with really strange noise (in the valvetrain?)

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
okay, so about 2 weeks ago, before i started on my suspension overhaul, i noticed that my car had started making a really loud squealing sound.

here is the deal, it won't make the noise at all when the engine is "cold" but once it warms up to normal operating temperatures, an unbearably loud squealing sound comes from WHAT SOUNDS LIKE cylinder one, in the valvetrain. i can't really begin to describe what the sound is similar to, but it is really bad.

once its up to normal temp, the noise starts at around 2300-2500rpms and continues all the way through the rest of the rpm range. but once its been "warmed up" for a significant amount of time (a long drive, for example) it will pretty much make the noise at all times. except when idling, but as soon as i start to accelerate and put load on the engine, it just starts squealing or whistling.

any ideas? again, when the engine is "cold" it runs as usual, no noises or anything. but when it warms up, the noise just kind of shows up. it almost sounds like a really high speed chirping, kind of sounds like metal on metal. making me think valvetrain or something of the like.

as usual, all help is appreciated.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
all belts (Timing/Alternator/AC/Power Steering) are new. less than two years old. they were all replaced when i did my Crower Cam swap. it is definitely coming from inside the motor, thats why i'm worried. if it was just belts, they would have already been replaced.

appreciate the suggestion, though. any other ideas?

DA_Integra

Not White, Pearl White
all belts (Timing/Alternator/AC/Power Steering) are new. less than two years old. they were all replaced when i did my Crower Cam swap. it is definitely coming from inside the motor, thats why i'm worried. if it was just belts, they would have already been replaced.

appreciate the suggestion, though. any other ideas?
Check your speedo cable it may be loose mines loose and it makes a high pitch noise kinda like a belt would.

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
already checked that. it really doesn't sound like a belt though, nothing at all actually. its a really difficult noise to explain. its almost like a really high pitched, really high rate of speed chirp. like a "metal on metal" slap or something.

DA_Integra

Not White, Pearl White
I have no clue what it could be but if it sounds like metal to metal then that's not good lol.

jason_guy_yeah

Have you checked the oil in your engine and tranny for metal shavings?

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
well, i'm positive its not tranny related, as the noise is coming from the drivers side (Trans is on passenger side) also, it makes the noise when its not in gear as well. if i just rev it to about 2500 (+/-) while sitting still, it still makes the noise. also, once the car has been running for more than 30-45 minutes (long drives etc.) it makes the noise at just about any rpms above idle.

i'm stumped, and frustrated. i hope the motor isn't going out on me, because i just got finished dumping $1800 in the suspension, and dont have the grip for a new motor right now.

i'll check the oil in the morning, but i'm sure its not low. worth a shot to check it though.

i asked my dad about it this morning, and he thinks it might be that when the car is warmed up, its losing oil pressure. can anyone vouch for this?