Help! Radiator Problems

GA-Beast

Owner
ok this is my second radiator...when i'm driving it runs normal...but when it sits for 5 min it goes up fast...its 65degrees out so i kno it cant be the weather....i was also wondering if my koyo for my da9 will work..i need to kno this asap! help me!

heykosal

Angkorian
maybe its the water pump, when the revs are up its spinning but at idle speed its not pumping enough coolant.
maybe there isnt enough coolant in the system.
maybe its just because plastic end tanks suck ass.
the same shit happened to me and a Fluidyne aluminum radiator fixed it.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Check your radiator, hoses and heater core for leaks and make sure the coolant is topped off. If it's not leaking then I would start by checking your thermostat.

GA-Beast

Owner
Check your radiator, hoses and heater core for leaks and make sure the coolant is topped off. If it's not leaking then I would start by checking your thermostat.
hey this is sort of weird too...ok when i pop tha hood theres coolant on the bottom of the hood....its also...and on the top of the radiator. It also went through a whole resi of coolant....i had to refill in a 15 min period

heykosal

Angkorian
^dude thermostats are designed to fail in the open position.

and the last time i had coolant all over my strut tower bar and hood, it was my lower radiator hose LOL

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
^dude thermostats are designed to fail in the open position.
"Designed to" and "does" are two different things though. Mine failed closed. I just pushed it open and left it alone since it doesn't get cold here anyway

heykosal

Angkorian
^^Thats cause you drive a DSM, its not a Honda:lol:

Damn i have never heard of that before. The thermostat went bad in my last teg but was stuck open!! So im assuming its bad for it to be open when its cold out because the engine doesnt warm up to normal operating temperature right? So is it bad that the Fluidyne radiator in my car keeps the temp gauge below the middle, and like a quarter of the way up when its cold out? Is that harmful?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Not anything extremely bad. The temperature gauge is just coolant. The oil will still get to operating temperature. The downside to it is that it will not engage VTEC (or i-VTEC) till the coolant reaches a certain temp. Other cars, like mine, will pull ignition timing until it reaches the set temperature.

It also will make your heater suck balls since the coolant takes a while to warm up all the way through the block, radiator and heater core.

heykosal

Angkorian
OH yeah temp gauge is coolant temp thats why theres a picture of a boat LOL

It would probably be smart to get an oil temp gauge for my boost set-up right?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Couldn't hurt. I don't have one but I trust mine though. I have a big ass oil cooler with an oil thermostat, watercooled turbo, and a oil capacity of 7 qts.