Head gasket Help

kory_k

I am replacing the head gasket on my integra and need some help. I have fairly little know how on engine repair, and need to replace my head gasket. My dad was supposed to help me do it but he is always at work and I don't know wtf I'm doin. The timing has already been done. But I need to know everything i need besides the head gasket kit itself. I really need some help here, if someone could maybe give me a link to a walk though or some advice, that would be great. Any help greatly appreiciated.

Thank You

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
sounds like you want to do this yourself correct? i suggest getting a haynes manual from book store. those books are great starting points on diy maintenance

kory_k

Hey, I picked up a manual the other day and I am going to order everything fairly soon. I was wondering what might be some major things I need to look out for.

patrick4588

Integra God
if you are swapping the headgasket, its a good time to change the water pump and timing belt. if you have extra money, some head studs would be a good investment too. its really not hard to change, once you do it once; its really easy. you will need to drain your coolant and oil, so make sure to buy more of that. a timing light would be a good idea too to make sure you get the timing back perfect.

amaestre32

heres a walk through hope this helps:

1. Remove the air cleaner/intake system (unless you dont want to, save yourself a few extra bucks on a new gasket, lol).
2. Remove any acessory belts yuo can get to .
3. Remove timing belt covers and valve cover and any acessories in its way.
4. Loosen the timing belt and remove it.
5. Unplug any electrical connections to the fuel rail and distributor.
6. Unhook the fuel lines from fuel rail.
7. Unhook all vac. lines. pictures are always good to have so you remember where they all go.
-You can pull the intake manifold off or leave it on.
8. Unbolt the head from the block in sequence only turning each bolt 1/4 turn at a time. this will keep the head from warping more.
-I looked around and i guess it doesnt really matter what order you do it, but i saw this order and used it.
1/4 turn for each.
-I pulled the exhaust manifold off and let it rest against the fans.
9. Pull the head towards the front of the car,
10. Take to a machine shop to check for warpage. Better safe then sorry.

-Reinstallation is the opposite. Doesn't matter when the exhaust manifold goes back on though.
-Remember that the head bolts must be done in sequence.
-Prime the fuel system and start it up. (I've also seen ppl turn the engine over by hand). I guess its to make sure nothins hitting

Hope that helps man, and also its not a bad idea to have a freind help out. =]

kory_k

Oh yea, btw I was thinking that when I replace the headgasket and if I have a little extra money I might get myself some headers or a new ecu or something. The cheapest set of headers I found are $120 on andys auto, and they are 4-2-1. If you guys know a good site to get headers off of could you let me know.