gsr blue smoke when floored

db84life

hi everyone....

my car smoke when i floored...... pretty bad that you dont want to be behind me. as far as i know after doing a lil research....i figure its my piston ring that is bad.... filling oil every week and washing the trunk every week also.

i know that i'm losing power to the car. i plan on rebuilding it soon.... either going turbo or juz go stock factory.

if i go turbo.... i like to know what you guyz think about nippon piston low com[. ratio about 9.1 are these worth puttin in? or juz go oem honda? budget is tight.......tats why i'm asking..... now i know it depend on what set up i want or so.... i was hoping to hit close to 275hp is replacing stock piston be able to use ... running low boost as 8psi? the set up will cost me about 900.... not using Ssautochromekit or some other cheap turbo....

the more money u put in... the more power u can get out of it......as we all know u pay of what u get for...

now if i juz replace the piston... as factory spec...... ish there a price diff. on gsr and type R piston.....

because i found type R piston on ebay preety good price... if i were to put type R piston.... what comp. ratio will it be? have anyone try this yet?

ne wayz.... ettin late...hope someone out there can give me tips thankz

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
probably rings. when you get on it and hit VTEC the oil squirters shoot the bottom of the pistons and its prob getting into the combustion chamber and burning. do a compression and leakdown test and it will give you a good idea of whats going on

Sirfallsalot243

Blue smoke = Oil burning.

If you plan on going turbo, you DONT want to get ITR pistons. They will raise the compression. You want to lower it. The lower your compression ratio is, the more boost you can run (although something like 8.3:1 is stupid low, 9.1 is perfect). Are the nippon pistons forged? Even if theyre not, youll be able to run more boost with them than OEM. If you really want, you can run OEM pistons and a thicker head gasket to lower the compression. This should let you run more boost. (I know a guy with a bone stock GSR with a thicker head gasket and a GT35R turbo making over 300whp).

Youll be able to run 8psi no problem. You can run about 6psi on a stock B18C daily driven.

If you decide not to go turbo, ITR pistons are a good way to go for a naturally aspirated setup. My NA B18C1 will be making over 200 at the wheels. ITR pistons will put you at upper 11:1 compression. With some bigger cams, youll be movin. Im using B16 pistons and Crower Stage 3 cams.

Last edited:

db84life

thankz for teh tipz..... the nippon piston are not forge... they are die cast aluminun... says compression rate between 8:5 to 9:5

so u sayin ur friend use thicker head gasket and that will help it lower it down if use stock piston? not what kind of set-up he have... i'm not tryin to copy as i'm juz comparing and doing research on it...

what program is he using to tune the car?

thankz

Sirfallsalot243

db84life said:
thankz for teh tipz..... the nippon piston are not forge... they are die cast aluminun... says compression rate between 8:5 to 9:5

so u sayin ur friend use thicker head gasket and that will help it lower it down if use stock piston? not what kind of set-up he have... i'm not tryin to copy as i'm juz comparing and doing research on it...

what program is he using to tune the car?

thankz
Well i know two people that have done it (its not uncommon). The GSR was a thicker head gasket, and other than that, bone stock. Tuned using Hondata S200. The other I know made 460whp out of a D16A6. Thicher head gasket, and a huge turbo. In a bubble with an auto tranny, he was running low 12's (and changing the tranny ever month). That was my engine builder, sav leone. www.savleone.com

Compression is determined by the amount of area in the combustion chamber. An engine with a 12:1 compression ratio will have very little room between the pistons and the head at top dead center (TDC). By putting on a thicker head gasket, youre moving the head farther away from the pistons, creating a larger combustion chamber. The combustion chamber is where the gas and air are compressed before combusting from the spark of the spark plug. A larger combustion chamber yeilds lower compression. Let me know if you need a picture, im sure i can dig one up, or draw one on paint.

db84life

hey thankz for explaing that..... and i do get a picture of u explaingin but u might as well see if u can post a picture up since somenone will might have the smae question i have.....

by any chance u can show me the direction to get a thicker headgasket? now this is diff. then a metal ight.. or is it teh metal HG we talkin about?

so do u think the nippon piston is worth to buy it at a tight buget or juz invest on the popular brand..? thankz

Sirfallsalot243

This isnt exactly what a honda combustion chamber looks like, but its a general idea.

With turbo, you want this area bigger. With NA, you want it smaller. The area with the arrows is the combustion chamber.

bongo667

What about black smoke? Around 5000 rpms and up, my gsr smokes pretty bad but it's black smoke.

db84life

hey supz.....

currently my car seems to get bad gas mileage... and putin oil every week.... a gallon...b4 it was blue and now it seen like its maybe mixing .. not really sure but when ever im driving and shifting i can see its blk smoke comeing.... its smke when i first start the car and smoke when i'm in first juz barly pressin on teh gas....its really bad... then when it heat up... i wont see it much smoking unless i drive a lil harder then its smoke... a friend of mine drove bhind me ... driving normal says he smell a strong odor... i figure its gas and oil mixing it...

when VTEC kik in at 4500rpm ...... does fuel pressure incease.. meaning u going to run a lil rich.... correct me if i'm wrong..... aint tat going to push a lil blk smoke out>?