Got any tranny swap tips?

konig16

LS Vtec=:)
Im installing a new trans 2nite and i was wondering if there was ne thing i should be aware of before removing my trans.

What kind of problems may i run into and whats the simple way to do this?

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Get somebody to help you, is real hard to do by yourself and get a spare car jack but I guess you knew that
tranny swap suck is worst than tacking the head off, but you got to do what you gotta do

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
cabezzzdb8 said:
tranny swap suck is worst than tacking the head off, but you got to do what you gotta do
It's not that bad. Or maybe I've just pulled too many while doing clutches. lol I would go ahead and replace the clutch while it's off though. A tranny jack makes things easier as does an impact and air ratchet.

And don't just pull on the axles. It will seperate the CV joint and suck very badly. Seperate the axles with a screwdriver and hammer. Put it right up next to the tranny on the cv joint face and tap it out till it seperates from the splines inside

steelies_ftw

watch out for tranny fluid ;), usually its pretty straightforward, if you kno how to take off ur axles, starter and mounts, and you might want to have another jack and kinda make like a plywood or some sort of flat surfaced thing to hold the tranny, usually i like to use the furniture movers stuff, but yea it is really hard to get a tranny back on by urself, make sure u got a buddy that doesnt mind holding somethin really heavy, and yea taking off a head would be way easier, i can take off a head in like 30min to an hour, and a tranny, well ive never timed myself, but it took me a while the last time