Getting ready to commute...

Hacksterbaby

Hey, new guy here. '92 LS automatic w/180K. Bought 3 years ago w/150K. Paint's shot, interior's gorgeous, obviously very well maintained by previous owners. Runs and shifts perfectly. When I bought it, needed CV's and a new muffler/tailpipe. Since then, it's had tires, brakes, thermostat, and very recently did timing belt, acc belts, water pump, cam and front crank seals, plugs and wires (dist cap and rotor to arrive soon), replaced the battery (which was in it when I bought it-- it tested bad the other day, but the alternator checks fine), and cleaned the shifter position switch (to fix the key removal problem in cold weather). Oil changes have been Mobil 1 High Mileage with Pure One filters. I put a can of Seafoam in the tank every other oil change or so. It could probably use struts, but no blatant problems. Been getting about 25 mpg city.

Starting next week I'll have a 110-mile daily round trip commute to/from my new job in Asheville, NC every day. Easy interstate miles. I love this car, and fully intend to get 500K out of it... anything else you can think of I should check/do to get it in shape? Thanx for any ideas.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
youve covered about all check all your hoses,even the little throttle body ones and look at the radiator really good,they tend to crack.change your brake and trans fluids,with a car that old anything can happen,but if u keep up with it i could see you getting 500k out of it.ps my work commutes only3.9mi sorry man

Hacksterbaby

Thanks- good advice on the hoses. I changed the upper and lower radiator when I did the thermostat, but the little ones need love too. Tranny fluid's been changed but not brake fluid- another good idea.

Not worried about the commute. Did it in 45 mins. last week. I look at it like, I get to spend an extra hour on a pretty scenic drive in my little go-kart every day, for a **much** better job with a 50% base salary increase... not too much downside there. :D

A couple pics...

The ratty-looking carpet is actually the original carpeted floormats. Underneath, the "real" carpet looks like brand new.

Last edited: