First project build.... doing up D16A1 w/ Turbo Kit

steelermike27

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/common errors/mistakes/ or experience on building an engine? Especially that of a D16A1 that will be going into my 1989 Acura Integra LS. I'm about to start the build, and i want to know just what i could be looking out for. i know it takes patience, but i wanted to know if there were any tricks of the trade type things.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
well whats your budget? if you have some expendable cash I would build the motor alittle or at least overhaul it to make it durable and last.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
haha, that will help you with everthing

89teggie

89teggie
if your gonna push boost, build your motor with forged internals. they will hold up to the boost as long as u dont go too crazy with it. check out king motorsports website, they have alot of stuff for g1 integras. autoanything has alot of stock replacement parts for a good price, but nothing real performance wise. i like seeing people keep the d16a1's, not many people keep them in there teg's. keep it old school. good luck with the build man.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Buy a Helms manual. Make sure all of your clearances and torque specs are correct!

forged pistons
forged rods
good turbo with manifold and front mount
aluminum radiator (cooling is KEY)
maybe a cam with bigger valves
aftermarket EMS
make sure u know roughly how much boost/cfm u plan to push and get the correct fuel setup to fit your needs (bigger injectors will be necessary)

lots you can do and alot u should do..

steelermike27

I'm picking up a skunk2 intake mani, 60MM throttle body, RC550cc DSM injectors, Forged pistons w/ rings, head gasket and gasket set, titanium vlave springs, and a stage 3 clutch.... i cant find crank or cams anyhwere.

graveyardhippie

u can use zc cams, but you have to use integra cam gears on them, and dont line them up with the lines from the cam gear, use the holes for the dowels.