Exhaust help

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
Alright guys I was thinking about getting a custom exhaust built and put on my car. Something lightweight but strong, probably 16 gauge stainless(isnt the lightest but its pretty strong). But i was also thinking about custom headers, 4-2-1 design but with a 3" collector. I was also thinking of going cat-less, but if I dont have the cat 3" in and 3" out all the way back straight through design to a 5" tip. Making the headers back 3" would create less back pressure and give me better flow, but I dont want something that sounds like a freggin lawnmower I want a nice cruising pur but when I open it up I want it to scream. What do you guys think? Its gonna be heavy as hell though going 3" back

potatobiker8

3'' back is OVERKILL unless ur have a turbo car running 500hp+.so 2.25 is good just get some decent headers and and decent exaust and can always put a test pipe so if u can switch from cat to test and find which sound u like better.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
2.5 exhausts are ideal for cars making a minimum of 190whp. Are you going to build the motor? If not, absolutley don't go bigger than 2.36 inches, especially on a non-VTEC. You'll gut your low end/midrange TQ. Headers with 3 inch collectors are for Supercharged engines, 3 inch exhausts are for SC'd or Turbo'd engines.

GSROWNSU

that's one question i have always been meaning to ask...if your running low boost on your car say around 7psi is a 3 inch exhaust absolutly needed?

MoJoJoJo

Banned
^ i would go with 3" if i'm boosted, even if i'm running low boost. or u can go with other exhuast like the evo TT i believe its 2.7 or 2.8

GSROWNSU

MoJoJoJo said:
^ i would go with 3" if i'm boosted, even if i'm running low boost. or u can go with other exhuast like the evo TT i believe its 2.7 or 2.8
what's the disadvantage of having a exhaust that's too small for boost? too much backpressure and not as efficient?

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
cool thanks guys, ill go with probably a 2.5" back or 2.25" i gotta look at prices and other stuff. Thanx for your help boyz