Exhaust for my GSR

IntegraGSR

I just got my 97 GSR and I just got an AEM intake and I also want to buy an Exhaust system, I wanted to know what you guys thought was the best choice for an exhaust. What is the best exhaust performance wise, and how affordable is it. The one I have heard is good and cheaper is the Magnaflow exhaust system but let me know what you think.

hyper98gsr

i think the most performance enhancing exhaust is the hytech full exhaust. header to muffler. it costs a lot though. maybe some one else can share some more info on it.

i think the best affordable/performance exhaust is the skunk2 mega or the fujitsubo.

ive seen dyno gains of 8.5-12hp myself with the skunk2 on a gsr.

Baldy201

Magnaflow make good exhausts. Greddy, Skunk2, Comptech are all good exhausts. Just make sure you have a plan for your engine. you do not want to but the wrong size pipe for your setup. 2.5 is the highest i would go, although it would be hard to find anything higher than that. sounds like you are just going to do just the basic boltons. so i would go with a Greddy SP2 or a Comptech exhausts. I know for sure the SP2 has a 60mm exhaust(2.35"). that would be good size for you even if you decide down the road that you want to do some more upgrades.

hyper98gsr

yea or the rsr exmag. it has about the same diameter piping and its tip isn't so big.

IntegraGSR

Exhaust Talk

Yea Im not sure what would be better 2.5" piping or 2.25" it is just for now because I want to go turbo in like 6-8 months and I would do 3" when the turbo is on. What do you guys think is better for now that im only doing bolt on upgrades.

DownShift96GSR

If you want to stay 50 STATE LEGAL go with Greddy. Cuz I know Skunk2 and my Hayame are not 50 STATE LEGAL since they are so loud.

DownShift96GSR

hyper98gsr said:
the skunk2 is 50 state legal. or so it says on the website.
Really? I went off the back of an Import Tuner where it advertises Greddy Exhaust. There's a chart there of different exhaust and their DB level at certain points (idle, 3000 RPM, peak horsepower, etc.) It said that GREDDY was like 94 DB and Skunk2 was 102 DB. In my state the loudest an exhaust can be to be legal is 96 DB. Pretty wack, don't ya think?

hyper98gsr

thats completely different. thats for decible limits. alot of states go by emissions instead (ie. colorado). i think it will pass emissions in all 50 states. besides, you cant really go off an advertisement, its biased. you never know, they might have tested a skunk2 cat back without the resonator, or something like that.

hyper98gsr

*plus* not all of the skunk2 cat-backs are 50 state legal(i just checked). that one was for a wrx right? all the honda/acura skunk2 catbacks are 50 state legal however.