engine question....

Regulator23

soo when im driving i hear almost like 2 stages of vtec on my b18c1, at 4100 i hear a kick sound as if vtec kicked in, and at 5500 i hear what sound like a louder vtec...iuno... i talked to the acura tech and he says he doesnt know what it could be...some help would be nice..

GSROWNSU

Regulator23 said:
soo when im driving i hear almost like 2 stages of vtec on my b18c1, at 4100 i hear a kick sound as if vtec kicked in, and at 5500 i hear what sound like a louder vtec...iuno... i talked to the acura tech and he says he doesnt know what it could be...some help would be nice..
all vtec motors have that the vtec actually kicks in at the lower rpm but what you hear at around 6k are the intake manifold "butterflies" of vtec. The vtec is actually engaged already but because of the intake manifold it is said that the vtec sound is amplified around that rpm range. and yea he didn't know that....wow...i could be a acura tech. :)

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Regulator23 said:
That first felling of vtec is your secondary runners activating on your intake manifold and the second one is your vtec engagement,that why gsr got the funny looking manifolds compared to the b16 ant itr manis, the gsr mani is a 2 stage set up, at low rpm it uses longer runners for better response and better low end torque, past 4200 rpms and inside the mani theres butterflies that open up to bypass the longer runners and run on shorter runers like the itr short runers for better response and power at high rpms,thats why its louder and it fells like a two stage vtec

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
cabezzzdb8 said:
That first felling of vtec is your secondary runners activating on your intake manifold and the second one is your vtec engagement
You got it backwards.
The first sound is the VTEC system engaging, it happens at 4400 rpm. The second sound is the butterflies opening in the IM, it happens at 5800 rpm.

That's pathetic that an Acura tech didn't know what you were talking about, Regulator23!

1329itr00

Type R
i shouldn't have read this now i'm gettin uncomfortable again with my car being at the stealership :cry:

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
1329itr00 said:
i shouldn't have read this now i'm gettin uncomfortable again with my car being at the stealership :cry:
Feel your pain man, that why I try to do everything myself but hey not everyone has that option, just buy a beater and store your itr when you get it back, if i had one I personally would not drive it every day ill be looked down, shit im scared driving my gsr and parking it at the mall or something ask my girl, too nice and to many haters never the less a bright yellow itr,, JUST BUSTING YOU BALLS MAN youll be alright :p just buy a civic for everyday like me its slow but fun

Regulator23

heh, yeh i was telling him about my heater not working which is a whole nother story and that i have to wait for my engine to warm up before i feel the first kick, and hes all, there arent 2 kicks, it s a single kick at 5500 i was like, its a 94 gsr... hes all yes 1 kick at 5500, i was like okkkkaaay have a nice day buh byee...

now on to my second question, not sure whats wrong with the tegra beast.... it doesnt want to warm up AT ALLL, i will go out to my car and let it run for 15 minuetes yet the H/C guage still says C like it was just started... im not sure if its the guage or my heater core or thermostat or w/e runs the heater on the car...because i got about 40 different possibilities to heat up my car from honda/acura tech's....some say heater core others say thermostat, and heater valve, and some say its just the temperature sensor not telling the ECU that the car is warm so it runs on safe mode....what do you guys think, i let it run for 15 min and then i had to drive it for 10 min for the first kick to actually hit like the car is cold or something...like its still on safe mode iuno i just dont know LoL

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Probably the cable that contros the heater valve that goes from the dash control to the bypass valve on the heater hose got disconetcted, fast fix would be to locate the valve and opening it by hand, its got a black plastic cover on top itr on the firewall were the heater hoses are at an it has a metal cable stikiing out and going into the firewall take the plastic cover off and turn it by hand it lets the hot colant go into the heater core and WAILA hot confi air,

red99teggy

Regulator23 said:
if you don't want to here the 3 runner engage, get a single stage IM. got the skunk 2 pro series, and you only hear one stage. and thats at 4500 RPM.