Engine Problems!

biker76

Okay well I am looking at possibly buying a 1992 Acura Integra LS. The motor sound like it rattles and the guy that owns it says that once you drive it and it warms up it starts to smoke. He said that he has a friend that works on Integra's and he says that he thinks its the valve guide because that is supposedly a common problem but he isn't positive thats what it is. I am not sure what it would take to fix that or would it be better to totally rebuild the engine it only has 132000 miles on it so I didnt know if the rebuild would be worth it? Does anyone know how much an engine rebuild costs?
Thanks in advance for the help.

rockadilla

thats right.
Lol how much are u buying it for??? How are we supposed to know if its a good deal or not :D but I wouldn't think a valve guide would be too much but I'm not positive

biker76

It sounded like it was coming from the top and I am not sure what color th esmoke is he didnt let it run long enough to find out. Do you have any idea how much an engine rebuild is? Thanks

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
These engines are very easy to rebuild, honestly dont know what a mechanic would charge for a complete rebuild, personally I would do the rebuild myself

So how much is he asking?

biker76

Well the Car is definitely a project car it isnt in very good shape but it is cheap the guy only want 500 bucks for it and he says its because of the engine. It also has brand new tires and that was what the guy was stressing to me and my dad.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Make sure before you buy it, to take off the valve cover to see how clean that valvetrain is, also check if the car has antifrezze and not plain water, if the valvetrain is full of tar and everything is black is suggest not to get it, if its got plain water i suggest no to get it also, these engines rot on the inside when they only have plain water running in the cooling system, ask me how I know

biker76

Okay well thanks for the info I am still thinking that a rebuild might be the way to go but we will see how much it costs and what happens with it.

rockadilla

thats right.
Lol I would buy it cuz if u do the work yourself u can buy a new/remanufactured head for about 500 bucks so u would get a decent car for about $1000 :D and even if u have a shop do the work if u buy the head yourself a shop should be able to install it for about $400 and u can probably buy a whole new engine for about $700 or $800 :D so I personally would buy it, fix it up for a few hundred bucks and sell it for 3500 lol

bfatdaintegra

IM motorvated
i rebuilt my first ls motor when i had a 89 civic hatch and it was easy i bought a drill hone and a rebuild kit i had the torque wrenches and and feeler guages and i went at it that was when i was 17 now ive been building all my friends motors and its real easy if ur good with cars and have common sence u can build it yourself