engine problem?

bdiz

hey, so i got a problem my car dies while i am driving. this doesn't happen all the time either, it happend to me 2 weeks ago and it happend again today..i was cruising in gear and then all of a sudden the car shuts off, the guage cluster lights go out and i am unable to start the car again. but if i take the key out and leave it for a minute the car starts right back up again and is all normal...and right after the car dies, if i turn the key to the on positon nothing happens the dash lights don't come on or anything but the radio will work. if i turn the key sommore and try to start the car nothing happens either... but like i said if i wait a minute with the key out of the ignition then try to start it..it starts up.... some people were telling me that my alternator is going bad or my fuel filter...but i'm looking for other inputs...

thanks

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
boy, that's a weird problem. I don't think it's the fuel filter, cuz that has nothing to do with the dash lights not coming on when the ignition's on. Unless you have an electrical and a fuel delivery problem. Done a tune up to it recently? Plug wires, distributor cap + rotor?

bdiz

i have ngk plug wires.. i haven' touched the distributor or anything in it yet... but again that doesn't explain the dash lights going out either...i did have a loose connection before with one of the ignition wires.. but i fixed that and its still happening.. just not as often

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
As far as the engine stalling, the problem could be:
-Fuel filter
-Bad distributor
-bad plug wires
-vacuum leak in the fuel injection system, IM, or elsewhere
-you desparatley need a valve job
-you got a really bad tank of gas
-bad or incorrectly gapped spark plugs
-water in your gas/water up in the fuel system

bdiz

hmmm... i'm leaning towards somthing electrical now... because my car runs perfect, besides it stalling out..

mteg

Automatic Lover
Check your alternator. Are you running a big stereo? Your alt could be on its last leg. I'd replace plug wires and ignition coil.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
mteg said:
Check your alternator. Are you running a big stereo? Your alt could be on its last leg. I'd replace plug wires and ignition coil.
lol, that doesn't make any sence! are you running a sterio? I'd replace the ignition system.... Hmm.... lol

Your ignition switch? Maybe its going bad, so it tells the computer that it isn't in the "ignition on" position anymore. Thats my guess for why the radio still turns on. It'll switch to only accesories on...

Check your relays for that maybe?

bdiz

yes, i am running 2 10" subs.. maybe i'll re check some wiring today... also which relays would i look at for this problem?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
All the alternator does is charge the battery, it doesn't directly run any components.
And all the ignition coil does is help start the car, once the car is running it's job is done.