Electrical Problem on 2001 ITR

INTR2001

For any gurus out there that know a lot about electrical problems please reply to this. I recently installed new headers, a high flow cat adjusted my timing (retarding it) and somehow ran into a electrical problem where the car's electricity keeps on fluctuating. My Speedometer does not work but my rpm does. It seems to go crazy when i step on the gas past 3000 RPMs. My lights will start to dim and brighten and my speedometer goes up and down.... (sometimes doesn't work). but when it sits at idle it will work fine, no fluctuations. I've already replaced my faulty alternator, checked for bad grounds and repalced my battery. I have done some research on what the other causes could be but i don't know if it could be. I am thinking it might be the TDC/crank/camshaft position sensor or it's the ELD that is causing this but i am not for sure.

speedin

The Transporter
ok well i can tell u right now the speedo thing and the dimming thing are prob different. check for codes number 1. (sounds stupid) but check all fuses. speed sensor (should throw a code, so no.1 will pick this up). what caused the alt to fail the first time? it might have happend again. do u have a sound system? is the belt slipping. but in the end most electrical probs can only be solved in person, i can only give u my :twocents: .

speedin

The Transporter
TekBuDDy said:
check your speed sensor, see if its plugged in or not
yea, that should throw a code. so he needs to scan.

209SpoonDC2

Sometimes the pins inside the speed sensor can become loose, and can affect the speedo's reading which will throw on the CEL. That happened on my '97 ITR, b/c of it, my VTEC didn't work. I put new sensors in and still didn't fix it, until I realized it was actually loose on the plug part of it. Tinkered w/ it for a while, and fixed that. Not sure what to tell you about your other problems, though. Good luck with that.

INTR2001

Thanks for the input guys but i've already checked the speed sensor. The speed sensor seems to be affected by the electricity flow.... But one thing is i did get a Code P1297 which is low voltage in ELD. Which means my alternator isn't generating it's charge..... I don't know man but if i do find out this problem, I'm gonna make sure i post this because it is a lengthy and sophisticated problem!

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Good luck with the electrical problem, I wish I could help but me and electrical dont get along very well.

speedin

The Transporter
INTR2001 said:
Thanks for the input guys but i've already checked the speed sensor. The speed sensor seems to be affected by the electricity flow.... But one thing is i did get a Code P1297 which is low voltage in ELD. Which means my alternator isn't generating it's charge..... I don't know man but if i do find out this problem, I'm gonna make sure i post this because it is a lengthy and sophisticated problem!
ok so this is alt number 2. answer these please so i can help.
1:do u have a sound system? is so give details
2:do you have anyother aftermarket electronics?
3:do u have the correct size alternator (could have been replaced with a cheap one)
4:any noises from the alternator? pop the hood when on and get a good listen
5:have u had the bat and charging system checked by a shop with a machine? if not do so.
6:start the car, hook up a voltmeter to the alt and make shure it reads above 14.5VDC. if not post results
7:clean all connection REAL well, the 2 alt connections, and batt terminals.

ok those should take this problem to the next step of figuring it out :D

INTR2001

speedin said:
ok so this is alt number 2. answer these please so i can help.
1:do u have a sound system? is so give details
2:do you have anyother aftermarket electronics?
3:do u have the correct size alternator (could have been replaced with a cheap one)
4:any noises from the alternator? pop the hood when on and get a good listen
5:have u had the bat and charging system checked by a shop with a machine? if not do so.
6:start the car, hook up a voltmeter to the alt and make shure it reads above 14.5VDC. if not post results
7:clean all connection REAL well, the 2 alt connections, and batt terminals.

ok those should take this problem to the next step of figuring it out :D
No I don't have a sound system. I do have A/F ratio gauge, vacumm gauge, A/F/Vtec Controller... I had the a shop repace the Alternator because it was still under warranty so i don't know if the Alternator is the correct size. no noises from Alternator..... When i hooked the DVM up to the battery i got a reading of 11.69V instead of 14.5 or 14volts. But, when i rev the engine, the battery will go up to around 13.6V's and fluctuate between 12-13, never reaching 14Volts. All connections are clean but are a little frayed.... planning to get new grounding kit.

speedin

The Transporter
INTR2001 said:
..... When i hooked the DVM up to the battery i got a reading of 11.69V instead of 14.5 or 14volts. But, when i rev the engine, the battery will go up to around 13.6V's and fluctuate between 12-13, never reaching 14Volts.......
ok now hook it up to the alternator only. so u can see what the alternator is putting out. this is what u need to know

INTR2001

speedin said:
ok now hook it up to the alternator only. so u can see what the alternator is putting out. this is what u need to know
I am pretty sure its either my Crankshaft position sensor or my ELD man.... I'm having the shop take a look into those things. I already tested the Crankshaft position sensor and its output isn't correct so it might be the cause of this whole problem!!