electrical issues new 1st gen owner

jsleeper81

Hey guys beeeln a while since ive been on here.
I used to go to the third gen corner since that's what I had well Iafter finishing myswap on that car wanted a new challenge decided to buy step dads 89 integra has a freshly rebuilt motor sounds strong runs smooth and all.
just got it today decided to take it out and test all the lighting every time I hit the breaks the radio goes off and comes right back on the dash lights parking lights and headlights flicker. Also when you get on it up in the higher rpms all the light go off parking headlamps dash radio all sounds like might be a grounding issue not sure as I'm not to familiar with this model I ddo know the battery ail not hold a charge but would think that would cause it but thought I would ask

enoch723

ok an easy way to check the grounding system is to take a voltmeter to it. While the car is running put the red on the positive of the batter and the ground wire on a grounding bolt under the hood. Not a bolt holding the fender on or anything like that. I bare ground bolt. Check it with several bolts to be sure you get about the same results too cause sometimes the bolt can be corroded and give a bad reading.

Regardless what anyone tells you though, you should be reading ATLEAST 12.5. 14.5 is perfect. If its 12.5 its a little low, but as long as its steady its not a big worry. If you have it jumping around or very low, you have a bad ground somewhere. Check the main grounds to be sure. Battery ground, alternator ground, and chassis ground should be your only grounds. If they all check out, check alternator by pulling off the positive cable from the battery when the car is running to make sure its powering everything right

Could simply be that the battery doesnt hold a charge too. Ive seen more stupid things happen from a dead cell battery

jsleeper81

ok an easy way to check the grounding system is to take a voltmeter to it. While the car is running put the red on the positive of the batter and the ground wire on a grounding bolt under the hood. Not a bolt holding the fender on or anything like that. I bare ground bolt. Check it with several bolts to be sure you get about the same results too cause sometimes the bolt can be corroded and give a bad reading.

Regardless what anyone tells you though, you should be reading ATLEAST 12.5. 14.5 is perfect. If its 12.5 its a little low, but as long as its steady its not a big worry. If you have it jumping around or very low, you have a bad ground somewhere. Check the main grounds to be sure. Battery ground, alternator ground, and chassis ground should be your only grounds. If they all check out, check alternator by pulling off the positive cable from the battery when the car is running to make sure its powering everything right

Could simply be that the battery doesnt hold a charge too. Ive seen more stupid things happen from a dead cell battery
Thanks for the input did all the grounds today they where all good it did happen to be a bad battery only problem now is when I hit the breaks the lights flicker/dim just for half a second which I know is common even my mew car does the dimming thing