Electrical? ignition? Ghosts?

Gus Quick

Can Anyone Help! I have 1993 Integra RS 1.8L 4-door and here is my very consistent problem:
Go to start my car and nothing happens (small click sound from ignition coinciding with me turning the key). Then I try several times to start and finally, after about 20 – 40 tries, it starts and it runs the rest of the day with no problem whatsoever.

This problem occurs infrequently sometimes and a lot other times. I can count on the problem “sessions” happening at least three times a year. Heat from the sun is NOT a factor. In fact it seems to usually happen during the fall and spring. An Acura Dealer said it was, and replaced my “Main Relay” (centered under the dash) and the problem came back 6 months later or either never left. At the same time they also replaced my Distributor. I later got the old “kill-switch” (also, under the dash) removed that the previous owner had with his alarm system as well. And I have a new battery.

The most common thing that happens is; I go to start my car and ALL OK – Drive it a couple of blocks, cut it off and then the “20 – 40 times” thing again! This sometimes IS the problem and sometimes it won’t start to begin with. . . It seems to be related to “Starting the car – cutting it off after a very short drive and then it NOT starting until it does.” When it happens, it always only happens once on that given day. It has never happen twice in the same day.

Any help would be great and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Stuckinafog

I had a sunfire that did that it was the ignition coil, but it could be the starter also. I think i replaced both and never had that happen again.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^ agreed.

next time it isn't working, tap your starter with a hammer a couple small taps and try to start... if it starts up, you know your problem.