Dry dipstick!!!

heykosal

Angkorian
So this past weekend i went to VT in blacksburg, VA. the trip is about 800mi round trip. i woke up today and went to work and at work i decided to check my oil. so i pulled the dipstick out and it was dry:shock: so i stuck it back in and wiggled it around. i pulled it back out and still it was dry! so i guess im low on oil, extremely low. my question is, how much do i add? my friend said add like 2 quarts but i dont want to overfill it so i was wondering if there is a way to figure that out?

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Just drain out all the remaining oil and fill it up with about 4 quarts. Do it asap. Don't wanna drive around running empty.

heykosal

Angkorian
theres no easier way to do this? i only have 3 quarts on me and no oil drain pan :smackself: id have to wait until tomorrow.
also, what is the proper way to check oil level?
engine running or engine off
and while its still warm right?

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
theres no easier way to do this? i only have 3 quarts on me and no oil drain pan :smackself: id have to wait until tomorrow.
engine off. and yes when its warm. i usuallty pull out the dipstick and wipe it clean then insert and check it then.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
To check the oil level, look at the dipstick. If it's under the bottom line, then it's really bad. Always make sure it's above halfway at least. Do you change your oil every 3,000 miles? I never wait for the check engine light to turn on. I always make sure my DB is running in good condition.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
i change every 2.500 just because i know that sometimes ill drive a little harder than usual over a period of time. + VTEC lol.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I put 2 quarts in right off, then drive it, park it and check it again and see where the levels at.

heykosal

Angkorian
i just poured a quart in and went for a short drive. when i came back and checked the oil level was normal again. its strange, what would cause the dipstick to be dry? i mean it didnt even look like it had oil splashing onto it, it was straight dry and hot.

i have changed my oil twice ive only owned the car for about 5k miles, but the oil looked dark so im going to get it changed tomorrow. gonna include a quart of lucas stabilizer also..