dim lights in gauge cluster

blueDAteg

Yesterday I was noticing that my ground wire from my valvle cover to rad. support was looking a little beat, with cracks in the plastic. I unhooked the side that bolts to the rad. support, and wrapped it in electrical tape. Now my gauge cluster is VERY dim. Its the lights behind it and on top that shine on it. What happened? Where can I get a new one online?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
its just a ground wire. You can make a new one out of any wire but if you want to get fancy with it, get some braided steel. lol

B18TEG

BLACK DA
that should have no result to the guage lights. . .. but just replace the wire if it looks that bad.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I wouldn't think so either, thats more a ground for your starter and alternator and stuff, but since he did that and it caused a problem, why don't you fix it! lol, know what i mean?

blueDAteg

yeah it just seemed real weird, I wouldn't think that that would cause my gauge cluster lights to dim, but after I taped it up, they seemed real dim. I figured I'd have to make a new one, anyone know what I'd need?

blueDAteg

i know that, i mean, what gauge wire? and specific wire? someone said aboveto use braided steel. where could i find this?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Would it make a difference if i ran it off the back of the valve cover? I dont want to look at it, or disrupt my turbo view.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^ Shouldn't. Its just a ground to the frame. I think thats how people do it when they shave the engine bays

blueDAteg

alright, so i replaced the waire today finally, and my gauge cluster is still dim. i checked the fuse, and thats still good. any other ideas?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
this may sound like an ass statment, but is the dimmer switch all the way up?

Only asking cause someone moved mine on me once and it took me like 45 minutes to figure it out.