detective needed - help with IACV issue

thaddeusss

so I'm a bit of an interloper here - I don't have an integra, just an integra motor! I'm just finishing up a d16a1 swap from an '87 integra into my 4x4 civic wagon. I've got it all running alright and it's a blast to drive but I've got one little issue I haven't been able to tackle yet. the IACV, if plugged in, is full-open all the time. it makes the engine race to 5K once it's warmed up and then it starts to hunt. I'm hoping someone here understands the logic of the ECU better than me and could help me find out why this is happening.

if I unplug it, it closes completely, and it idles with no issues and drives great, once it's warmed up. if it stalls when it's cold and the IACV is unplugged then it can be hard to start again. I think it floods, sometimes it needs starter fluid to get going again. I checked the IACV itself, it checks out - opens and closes with appropriate current and does not leak when closed. no body ground found on either contact and the resistance across the terminals checks out.

I am getting a code 14 on the ECU (IACV). if I clear it and restart the car it doesn't come on until I touch the throttle. I'm not getting any other codes.

when the ignition is on but the engine is not running I am getting full voltage from the yellow/black wire.
I am also getting minor voltage (1 to 2v) from the white wire (from ECU) I suspect this is a clue to the problem, but I don't know what it might mean.

I'm getting pretty lost on this one and if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated... if you can tell me what's wrong and it fixes it I'll totally send you a check!!!

thaddeusss

I gave up and brought it to a mechanic - a 20+ year ASE cert fellow. he swore up and down it was the ECU.

he was wrong.

anybody else out there clever~?