Cranks but won't turn over

fixerh

I've got an '89 Integra LS DOHC 1.6L automatic. I’ve been having intermittent starting problems with this car for 2 years. Sometimes it starts just fine, but more and more often, it’s been reluctant to start to the point that I’m having problems with it practically every other day. I’ve bought two batteries for it, replaced the starter, replaced the distributor cap and rotor, replaced the spark plugs, and the gas cap. Autozone says the alternator, battery, and starter all test fine. The other day it started just fine. I decided to perform a little test, so I turned it off right away and tried to start it back up, but it wouldn’t turn over. I loosened the gas cap and it started right up. A few nights ago I drove it to the bar. When I tried to leave an hour and a half later, it wouldn’t start at all, even when I tried loosening the gas cap, so I had to catch a ride home. I walked back to the bar the next day and it started on the first or second try. Yesterday it took several times to start. I tried to start it a few times. Like normal, it cranked but it wouldn’t turn over, so I loosened the gas cap and it eventually started after several more tries. The same thing happened when I was coming home about three hours later. And to add insult to injury, I just went downstairs and it started on the first try. I turned it off and tried it again and it started right up again! Do I need a new fuel pressure regulator? To replace the fuel injectors? The hoses? Is the gas tank rusted out, or does it have a bunch of gunk built up inside? Should I roll this thing off a cliff? Or, get my shrink to up my meds, so I can escape into an alternate reality? Really, what should I do?! :oops:

gugiey

I would start by testing your fuel pressure regulator .
There are many videos on YouTube to test one

Jayteg

If its turning over but not firing, sounds like something to do with your fuel system. I would start at your fuel rail and work your way back.

fixerh

Still puzzled

I've had it at the mechanics for a few days. He replaced the main relay and it was running fine for a few days. Now today it won't start at all, which is what was happening right before I took it in to him. He suspects an electrical problem and is checking the wires. I'll post and let you know what he finds.

fixerh

Dirty contacts

Since my last post, the mechanic cleaned some contacts, and the car has been starting fine. I've left it with him just in case it starts not starting again, seeing that the problem is intermittent. He's been driving back and forth between home and work; so far, so good.

stewart121

Car won't turn over - car cranks fine but does not start?
Anyone have any ideas as to why we can't get our 2001 Chevy Malibu to start - this happens from time to time. The car cranks just fine (normal speed) but the car won't start.

fixerh

Clean the electrical contacts

I've got my car back and it is running fine. All the mechanic did was clean the electrical contacts under and to the left of the dashboard and spray some oil on them. Some gunk had built up on them over the years. He even put the old main relay back in, so that wasn't the problem.

20Civicsi00

Main Relay

Test Your Main Relay I Had The Same Problem With An Accord Nd It Turned Out The Main Relay Was Goin Out....

enoch723

I've got my car back and it is running fine. All the mechanic did was clean the electrical contacts under and to the left of the dashboard and spray some oil on them. Some gunk had built up on them over the years. He even put the old main relay back in, so that wasn't the problem.
the contacts got dirty??.. That doesnt really make any sense. The contacts should all be soldered.

What contacts you talking about?

fixerh

I'm not sure what contacts he cleaned. Once I got the car back, it worked for two weeks, and then it died again. I wound up having to get a new main relay. Since I stuck that in, the car has been starting fine.