Changing the Rear Rotors

Duey1083

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice about the thermostat. I changed that about two weeks ago and it's still going strong.

Now I am looking at changing my rear rotors and pads because they are pretty gouged up (I'm not completely sure if they can be turned or not, but they look really worn. Oh and I bought the car like that, I didn't let that go myself, lol). Anyways, I was checking out the procedure on team-integra.net, and it doesn't look too hard to do, but I may be being optimistic.

My question is, there are two screws that hold the rotor on once the entire caliper assembly is removed. Once I remove them using an impact screwdriver, is there any way to torque these up? Or do I just make them as tight as possible?

Also, should I be using a high-temp grease on all of the 12 mm bolts on the caliper assembly itself?

Once again, I appreciate all of your help!

Duey1083

Sounds good, that's what I will try.

What would you recommend for rotors in the back? I think it's a waste of money to spend the extra on premiums on the back wouldn't it? I mean, if I was talking the front brakes, I would definitely fork over the extra cash for the premiums, but for the rear, it just doesn't seem worth it.

What's your take on that?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
If you're not running high performance pad then I could hardly see a reason to upgrade the rotors. You could always just get the stock ones resurfaced to remove any grooves or warpage.

About the screws, they really aren't necessary and can't be left out if you ever plan on taking your rotors off again since the seize and/or strip so easily

LSvtecboi

i wouldnt worry about getting them turned.... the oem rotors are not that expensive... but make sure to do the pads too or the old pads are going to cut into your brand new rotor..

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Getting rotors turned cost $6-$8 a piece. $16 beats the hell out of buying new stock rotors. There is no point in buying new stock rotors if you aren't looking to upgrade to high performance pads and rotors. Unless of course they warped or grooved so bad that they can't be fixed, which is a rare occurance. They would have to be warped to the point of undriveable

I paid 14 bucks a piece for my rear rotors. Theres not a machine shop close enough to justify having them turned.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Any autoparts store can turn them. You don't need a machine shop. But $14 a pop is a good deal

The parts store in town sends their stuff off for machine work and I have heard real bad things from the employees there about stuff getting lost ect.