Blown head gasket

legendz411

I'm looking to buy a Teggy and I've found a 91 Acura Integra 5-speed for $1000 with the LS v-Tec swap. Sleeved cylinders with Wiseco 11.5:1 pistons. AEM Cold air intake and a 4-2-1 header and cat-back exhaust. Suspension wise it has dropzone adjustble coilovers. Also a B&M short shifter.

Apparently he had the head rebuilt and it has only about 400 miles on it and 10k on the motor.
The catch is that it has a blown head gasket.

What I would like to know is, is it worth it to buy this car and then get the head gasket replaced? Is it something an amature hobby mechanic can do at home, (with a Haynes )? If not, how much would it typically run in a shop to fix it?

If the cost to repair it, (either by me or the shop) is not ridiculously expensive then I think I may get the car.

johnownsall2

I have a blown head gasket on mine if you were to replace your head gasket and water pump and timing belt the most it will cost is 200. if a mechanic does it they overcharge in my opinion i was quoted 800 to just put a new head gasket itself. The only thing that should go threw your head before buying this car is why did the head gasket fail, did it cause any damage inside. and will it just break again?

LS/Vtec is finicky..you gotta find out all components that went into it, and how it was driven.
Why is it blowing head gaskets? Who owned it, who assembled it, all need to be taken into account.
I have an LS/V and its a fun motor to have, just be weary of buying one, especially with a blown head gasket