Another 89 High Idle question..

shmo9012953

Ok Im just looking in a couple different integra clubs for different ideas on what the issue of my high idle could be...
In a nutshell my tranny messed up and my engine leaked oil bad when my 87 finally crashed and burned...found what we thought was another 87 engine and tranny turned out too be an 89. The entire car had too be rewired due too the inconsistenty of the dizzys (not sure if a full rewire was needed but it happened). After the rewire the car would start but would not stay running at idle. ECUwas throwing a code which the mechanic says was the MAP sensor. Changed out the Map sensor and now the car idles wayyyyy higher then normal and it is louder then when the 87 engine was in it and the ECU is still throwing the same code? any info in regards too high idle and increase in engine loudness would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

87teggyRS

are you still using ur 87 ECU, the 88-89 ECU is a little different then the 87 I believe, maybe something like that could be your problem

tnthall63

high idle

Once you get your answer, do you think you could send me the post? My 1987 Acura Integra idles very high as well when it's first started. It eventually comes down and we have been told that the choke may just need 'de-gunking' - we were going to try that route first. Other than that, the engine purrs like a kitten for a car that is 24 years old! Thanks! :)

Classa64

Is your trans a five speed or Auto...there were some differences 86-87 to 88-89 namely in the distributer as far as the vacume advance and retard go. I would definatly use the ECM that came with the engine you put in but now that you have rewired things you may run into issues.

To tnthall63....No Integra has a choke...my 87 starts good cold and goes up to about 2200rpm then comes down and I believe its to have the converter warm up quicker to lower emissions...there is an Idle air control valve and a cold start valve you could clean though just for maint.

:)