AC fart?

rebar71

Canyon Carver
My car sometimes farts when the AC is running. It's a 1998 DC4. It is a strong running great car. But when the AC is running, it sometimes farts. You can hear it from inside the car - almost sounds like a blow off valve at low boost. But feels like a misfire.

I think it feels like some kind of exhaust back pressure. But it only occurs randomly when the AC is running - and only when you run a gear past 4k rpm. The sound appears to be coming from the exhaust system in random places when it happens, as well. I say it feels like a fart, but sounds like a blow off valve (which I don't have). Also feels like there is more parasitic loss from the AC running (vs not running) than there should be.

Any ideas?

This car is bone stock except for K&N drop-in filter and TB coolant bypass. I keep all aspects of this car is in top running shape. It has 120k miles. I will be replacing the O2 sensor when it arrives (this week - cuz I have other concerns about the MPG I've been getting lately) - and will probably be doing the IM gasket at the same time (I have a Hondata IM gasket waiting for me to put on just to keep the intake charge temps down).