A Whack of Questions

Zetro

Hey Guys, I hope that you are all having a great weekend. I did search for a while on these and could not come up with anything concrete. Any help is much appreciated.

I have picked up a 1990 Integra 4dr LS and while it having some semi-major body issues which I am fixing this weekend it also has a couple other issues as well that any input on would be great.

First off is the idle, when the car is fully warmed up the idle jumps between 750-850ish and it is not rough just feels a little "jumpy" in the car if you know what I mean. I have changed plugs (NGK Iridium), plug wires (NGK), distributor cap, and on the old plugs they were perfectly white with no oil on them. Before I swapped the parts the car ran so-so as the plug wires were terrible (arcing yourself is never fun I swear!), the plugs themselves had like nothing left on them and well a d cap is like $4 lol.

Is the idle set to low or is there something else easy that I should be checking? The car drives perfectly and seems to have sufficient power in all ranges for an 18-19 year old car.

Second, the evil brake lights. I am not a car electrical genius so before I go and shock myself (this would be nothing compared to the spark plug jolt!) I have a couple questions. On my right brake light when I have the lights on everything looks correct. When I step on the brake one of the two lights just turns off rather than illuminating further. Is there a short or should of I have looked at this further?

Third, probably related to the second one. Both of my tail lights have a little bit of condensation in them. Is it common for this vintage of car to have sealant issues on the taillights? What is the easiest way to clean this up?

Fourth, the car has 136,000KM on it. I know the timing belts need changed but how can I tell if this one has been?

Fifth, the power antenna is totally cacked on the car. What options have been thrown around? Fixed normal antenna or is there some neat way to jig it?

Lastly, while completing the bodywork on the car I have to put on a new trunk lid. Since it was red and my car is blue I had to scrap off the "Integra" logo. Where is a good place to buy an OE "Integra" emblem for this car? I can just rearrange the other logos to different places for it to look stock according to the 93 4dr Service Manual. eBay did not have anything but crazy looking Integra badges...

Just for the record here is the body work that will be done by myself and a friend of mine. This thing should look pretty mint once we are done.

-Trunk lid was rusted due to being hit. Replacing and painting/blending on the two rear panels.
-Drivers side rear quarter is showing a little bit of rust, cleaning this out and blending with the trunk spray
-Drivers door, the lock was obviously tried to be killed to steal the car. I am filling the slight hole/scratch and going to clean it up
-Right rear door had a scrap at the moulding and below. It was painted poorly but at least it has not rusted and there was no dent. Replacing the moulding and re-spraying the paint so it looks correct.
-Steaming the wheel wells and spraying rust retardent foam
-Replacing the front bumper with a new one. Bumper was only $70
-Rear bumper has a scuff, easy enough to fix
-Hood is scratched up pretty good, 95% of it should come out with wet sanding
-Other little scratches will be wet sanded out.

Then I am done with it! lol

mirrorimg

Lets see what I can answer.

2. Im not positive on this, but I think the brake lights/tail lights are separate bulbs, or dual statge? bulbs. When you depress the brake, the normal tail light turns off, and the actual brake light illuminates.
3. The condensation is typical in any tail light. You can remove the housing, and let it air out if you are really worried about it. In 94-01 tegs there are simply 4 nuts that hold it in. Dont know how your tails are secured, but it cant be that much different
5. You can hook up an aftermarket antenna if yours is broken. A lot of people like the Shark/ S2000 style antenna. I went with an internal antenna. The reception is not as good as an external antenna, but it works for me. Link to my install

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
youve got a couple issues, check for vacume hoses off or broken,any will cause a rough idle. check the grounds in the tails chances are the moisture has corroded them.on the timing belt u can pull the cover and look at it,but it still may look fine i would change it so u know when its been done. cherrio

Zetro

Thanks for the tips, I am going to get the timing belt, water pump, and maybe the front seal just to be safe

The tail lights were just a crappy couple of bulbs thankfully, that made my life a lot easier.

Question though regarding the taillights themselves - how do you take them out on a 1990 Integra 4 Door?

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
1) there should be an idle screw on your throttle body that you can turn to change what it idles at...but change it when the car is warmed up

4) as far as i know you cant really tell if a timing belt is worn or not...if it has 136000KM on it, thats around 80000 miles or so... it wouldnt hurt to change it.

Also, do a compression test on the motor...that will give you a better look on how the motor is... the Psi range should be between 190-220

plazz58

first try blleding air from vavle below trotle body it looks like a large brake blleeding valve air going into trotle body will make iac valve get different readings its a cooon problem w acura's if you do try to set idle disconnect iac electrical connetion w engine warm set idle to about 750 rpm. turn engine off and remove back up 7.5 amp fuse for 10seconds to reset ECM (canada back up 10 amp) as ECM controls rpm's. restart engine. I belive bleeding water valve w engine runnig about 5 times will take care of idle problem