93 LS Rattling noise

blades8me

So I've had my 93 ls for a few years and I love it! It has been running pretty smoothly until now. It has a lot of miles, almost 200k. But here is my problem.

I've noticed a loud rattling noise coming from my engine. The engine sounds great when I start it up and let it idle. However, once I put it in gear and start driving it makes a loud rattle. The noise happens in cycles, it will rattle for aprox. 7 seconds and then be quiet for aprox. 4 seconds. This cycle repeats itself until I stop the car. Has anyone had this problem or know what this could be an indication of?

By the way, I'm new to the site and have already found it very useful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Well if it's coming from the engine it could be a loose bracket but it sounds like it might be a heat shield under the car. Oh or check your exhaust manifold cover. It may have worked it's way loose.

J_Jay_B

teg driver
there is also i bracket that you exhaust manifold bolts to (on a G3 not sure bout G2) but you could check that sometime that comes loose, it did on my car all the time

heykosal

Angkorian
Like said before the exhaust manifold cover is a good place to start checking(while the engine is cold of course!) then check the various exhaust heat shields beneath the car. When I had the rattle on my car it was the catalytic converter, so check that too.