92 - no engine kickdown.

rainshdw08

92 Teg LS - B18 - No engine mods, except K&N Air. Daily Driver

Sorry for the Long post but I wanted to be specific. Need to give background below before main issue.

I've been trying to work this car back into shape after previous owners neglect. Replaced NUMEROUS parts. Runs VERY good.

I recently drove from Washington St, to South Carolina and back, No real issues except:
1. It would start then immediatly die, i'd have to start it and keep the gas going for a sec to keep it running, once I got to that point, no further issues. Started Happening about halfway through trip.
2. Noticed, at idle, the engine would seem to ramdonly "bump" off and on. Throttle up to over 1500 - no bump.

Got back to WA, after some research, pulled of the TPS wire, idled up, CEL - all normal. Once the wire was replaced and the car was restarted, no CEL, no starting issues ever again. However I did get the CEL after driving it for at least 30 min or under hard accell. Then shut off car, restart and no CEL until previous circumstances.

as for the "bump"...During the trip I used Super Unleaded and some octane boost's over the mountains. It was recommended by a friend to use 87 for a while and see what happens. Bump now gone after 6 weeks.

So, I ordered a new TPS cause Acrua could get just that part, they wanted me to buy a new throttlebody. at 500 bones - F that. I got the TPS online from Street Imports (.com) for 45. But, i didn't know the damn thing was riveted on. and...driving to Wisconsin at the end of this week so I took it to a shop for installation.
They replaced it, but now the problem is I have no kickdown accell - small amount below 55 MPH, but not like it used to and above 60MPH NO KICKDOWN. Plus there is a "hard CEL" of which they read it as:
1. Always running lean
2. Low Voltage O2 sensor (new Bosch 6 months ago)
3. Low Voltage TPS (which they just replaced)

I'm taking it back tomorrow am, just thought someone could tell me if they screwed up or is it something else? before the TPS was replaced - no kickdown issues - ran fine. Still runs good, just no acceleration.

Last edited:

rainshdw08

FYI:

1. New Fuel Pump
2. New NGK Plugs and Wires
3. New Fuel Filter
4. New PCV Valve
5. Valves Udjusted to within tolarance
6. New Timing Belt
7. New Distributor, Cap and Rotor
8. New O2 Sensor
9. All New Belts
10. New ECU (Correct one by VIN)
11. K&N Air and Oil Filters with Castrol Syntec 5W-30 (recent oil/filter change)
12 - New Battery (Napa Gold)
I'm sure I'm missing something...

All replaced within the last 6 months

mattclark08

UTI-NTI Alumni
i believe the tps must be adjusted correctly, might be an issue