92 GS major problems - please help!

digital whiskey

Hi all,

92 GS B18A1 195,xxx miles
YS1 - tranny, 5spd
PR4-L11 - ECU

~15,000 miles ago: new timing belt, oil pump, water pump, head gasket.

Okay, here we go. Car was doing just fine. All of a sudden check-engine came on and revs started dropping. I blipped the throttle a couple times and kept it going, pulled into a parking lot, when I engaged the clutch it died. Tried to start it again, it would crank but not fire. I had a similar thing happen in my old 87 CRX SI, so I listened to hear if the fuel pump was priming. It wasn't.

I towed it home and the first thing I check was the PGM-FI relay(main relay). I pulled it out and tested it according to my Hayne's manual. It tested fine. Then I tested the plug for the relay, it tested fine as well. So I figured the pump was bad. Got a new one, dropped the tank and installed without a hitch. Went to start it and it would only crank. Pump still was not priming. Pulled the rear seat up and checked for voltage at the yellow/black wire, no voltage getting to it. So I got a new relay and popped it in. Same thing was happening. So then I just went ahead wired the pump up to a switch. That worked. I'm getting fuel to the rail now.

However, the car still wouldn't start. Pulled a plug out and found that I'm not getting spark. So I assume that I wasn't getting spark the whole time and was working on the wrong end of the car. But I know the pump was just about dead as I hard-wired it to the battery upon removal and it just barely engaged.

So, I'm not getting voltage to the fuel pump and I have no spark whatsoever.

Where should I look next? Since I got the pump working by putting a switch on it, I was going to try a new distributor and see what happens. If I can get it to run this way, I'll do it, but I'd much rather have it run as it should. But 9 months is too long.

I also tested the sensor on the dizzy (Top-dead-center, crank position, and the other one....can't remember) they all tested fine.

Could the ECU be bad? Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

acclude

cheap bastard
DId you try to pull the codes from the ECU at any point in time?

It sounds like you've got an electrical problem. Possibly the ECU, but could also be a power wire feeding the main relay and distributor or just a power wire or ground going to the ECU. For them to BOTH die at the same time, this is my guess.

digital whiskey

Well, like a dummy, I didn't think to check the codes before I started working on it. So the battery has been disconnected so many times that its not throwing any codes. (*slaps head* I've learned my lesson.)

I found a diagram of all the wires running to the ECU I suppose I could check the grounds to see what's going on.

digital whiskey

Voltage is present to all plugs on ECU.

Anyone have any other ideas?

91acuraGs

yes check you ecu fuse in your engine bay that was my prob my stock ecu was bad and kept blowing it... so i went to junk yard and got a used ecu and ran fine ever since then

Last edited:

digital whiskey

Got a new dizzy. Nothing changed. All fuses and relays are fine. Voltage is getting to the ECU.

I'm really thinking that my ECU is bad. I'm trying to find someone in town that has a similar TEG that'll let me pop my ECU in and see if that replicated the problem.

I'm been chasing wires down and someone had been in there before cutting wires. I'll take some pics and post them later after it quits raining of the cut wires to see if anyone can indentify them.