90 Integra needs new motor

Is the B20 a solid replacement option for 1990 Integra?

• Yes-Engine and tranny

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes- use old integra engine

• No - not at all

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

my90integra

My 1990 2 Door LS (5 speed manual) needs a new motor (current motor coming up on 300,000) and I am considering the b20. What are the pros and cons....is this an upgrade? I am in Ca - will there be emission problems? Also, does the B20 (CRX) motor have better torque/horsepower? I am considering replacing both engine and tranny, but have heard that the CRX does not have cable clutch, making it impossible to replace as a unit? My current tranny crunches in 5th, so I believe it needs replacing as well. Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
What part of Cali are you from? Some rural, small-town areas aren't required to pass emissions here.

A bit of useful 411 on engine swaps from CARB...

Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.

If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.
Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

-The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
-The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
-If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
-All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
-After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

Source: California Air Resources Board

rancidhooligan

Grand Sport
I have a B20B in my 1990 Integra GS and I love it... however, with gas prices going up and you having to pass emissions, I might stick with a stock B18 replacement for whatever you had before.