89 Radiator problem

MrLeadFoot

235k miles. Auto, A/C, bone stock. Radiator leaks. Assuming best course of action is to replace the radiator:

1) Will any cheap radiator do, such as the cheap ones on Rock Auto?

2) How difficult is the job? Not that I am new to turning a wrench, as I've replaced v-8s in Chevy's built VW opposed 4's all the way down the crank bearings, rods, etc. I just want to know if it's worth my time, and how long it will actually take.

3) Any tips?

TIA

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
that radiator will be fine. the hardest part of the jobs gonna be removing the hoses. unplugg the fans and remove the fans and radiator out together.

MrLeadFoot

Thank you SO much for response.

RockAuto shows two options, a Spectra at 121.99 and a Proliance at 135.79. Do you think it matters which one?

Also, when you said the hoses were the hardest part, I'm assuming, then, that this must be a pretty easy job, right?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
no prob man. im not sure of the diffrence. i would go with the one with the better warranty. it's pretty straiforward. the hose tend to get stuck to the radiator. use a pick and a pair of pliers to twist them.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I would suggest having a car on the side that you can run to carquest or something with to get new radiator hoses on a car that old... one problem I was having with my 91 was tearing the water hoses with the pic from just the rubber rotting out. Granted, that's part of wisconsin for you, but it's always nice just in case something happens.

The radiator really shouldn't be a problem for you tho. Just be sure to have coolant on the side, and make sure that everything will fit in there. Like Jim said, it's really not a problem, and if you take your time it'll be good!